Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

ETA

5 Likes
3 Likes

This article describes a very complicated history, and the frustration of residents is understandable. Complaints against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have been increasing in some regions due to past project failures. Still, local solutions like this might not be accepted by governments and the insurance industry:

:thinking:

3 Likes

The federal guidelines are complex, but if Curole had built to them, his levee would have reached only 13ft tall. Instead, Curole built taller – which, using the same pool of raw materials, also meant he built steeper, leading to an inherently less sturdy levee. In the eyes of the corps, Windell’s levee is too tall and skinny to be stable.

He ignored formal censures as his levee climbed to 18ft. Ida brought floodwaters soaring to 17ft. The unauthorized, DIY levee was the only thing keeping the area from being subsumed by the water. If he had obeyed the corps, Curole says, “we wouldn’t have a community”.

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 hours.

Probability Estimates of a 21st Century AMOC Collapse

https://arxiv.org/html/2406.11738v1

3 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

9 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

The company has been accused of dumping or burying at least 200,000 tonnes of waste from the Stockholm area at 21 locations in 15 municipalities across Sweden with “no intention or ability to handle it in line with environmental legislation”.

Prosecutors have said they had to limit the case to just 21 locations because they ran out of time

jeeezuz!

3 Likes

I wrote a while ago that tropical nights are still pretty rare in europe these days; guess not anymore. we got here in berlin tropical nights pretty much uninterupted for the last ~3 weeks and its still going. 11:20 pm right now and temps outside are 25C and they will not drop below 21C til sunrise. forecast says this will most likely go on at least for another week.

and the dwd (german weather service) doesnt seem to bother anymore to write about records and climate in general, they just listing the temps;

even the “especially cold places” have all a positive deviation of at least +3.7C compared to the average 1961-1990.

5 Likes

Environment Canada has also stopped recording historical information. It’s utterly insane to me, but I guess it makes the politicians look bad on climate change so it had to go.

ETA: I was incorrect, it is available again.

3 Likes

wait, officially? in which way? cause I found this.

2 Likes

Oh! That’s good. They must have changed it, because last year their website said they were no longer collecting historical data and there was only old data available. I suspect it must have been that they were updating the way it is presented. It’s no longer linked directly off the main forecast page for each location like it used to be. I’m very happy to be proven wrong!

6 Likes
10 Likes

Obligatory…

12 Likes

25° Celsius = 77° Fahrenheit

7 Likes