Florida cops use AI to target people for a new "enhanced scrutiny" program

Absolutely it is abuse either way. My question is only wondering the degree to which it is “merely” a psy-op rather than adding real prospective surveillance to real retrospective surveillance. I don’t think that this would make it “better” at all, but just add creep factor to the clear human rights violations involved.

Defund the police.

5 Likes

From the original article. Not just psiops, actual (IMHO, criminal) harrassment.

15 Likes

As they make checks, deputies feed information back into the system, not just on the people they target, but on family members, friends and anyone else in the target’s orbit.

So guilt by association?

This seems all highly unconstitutional.

11 Likes

This is so utterly monstrous (though in some ways only a slightly formalized version of what many police/sheriff departments already do), and I imagine the only reason the program hasn’t already been sued out of existence is because the people being targeted don’t have the resources/connections to organize such a thing. Eventually I imagine it’ll happen (and then they’ll go back to the more informal version of the practice).

Well, yes, they want the targets to feel surveilled, but they do also make random visits to the family’s home to harass them as well.

Whoo boy:

In a series of written statements, the Sheriff’s Office said the list is used only to help the deputies assigned to middle and high schools offer “mentorship” and “resources” to students.

Asked for specifics, it pointed to one program where school resource officers take children fishing and another where they give clothes to kids in need.

Uh huh. When something is framed as a law-enforcement issue, it gets a law-enforcement response, no matter how inappropriate a response that is. Even if their claim is true, why is the sheriff’s office doing this? Another argument for defunding the police - they obviously have resources enough for doing things outside their remit, which should be given to someone who can effectively use them.

Unfortunately it never actually happens, though. Corrupt/inept law enforcement departments have completely bankrupted some towns with settlements, but there’s little to no impact on the department until towns are forced to entirely disincorporate. It’s because of the nature of law enforcement in the US - police “unions” have iron-clad deals with cities that limit what sort of constraints can be put on them, and the extremely dysfunctional relationship between those “unions” and local politicians puts the politicians at their mercy. It’s not too big an exaggeration to say that local politics is ultimately run by law enforcement.

11 Likes

Defenestrate the Police.

9 Likes

Indeed, “Guilty by thought, guilty by word, guilty by deed.”, only, in this case, it isn’t even the prisoner’s own thoughts, words and deeds, but those of the police.

7 Likes

mum had a home on a nice piece of land with deer, fox, tortoises, very old oak trees and quite idyllic in Pasco County for 25 years. very rural, but also many developments where retirees wall themselves into gated communities. further west in Pasco, you’d find low income, depressed communities like New Port Ritchie, where even the mayor was a criminal who had to be removed from office.
this news comes as absolutely no surprise, as I believe the entire county ‘leadership’ from the commissioners on down are corrupt to the core. that this nazi/stassi type bullshit sits in the sheriff’s office just does not surprise me at all. that said, the content and wording of that letter is frankly shocking - not that shocked - to me.

8 Likes

Probably what is most egregious about the Sheriff’s department running this program is the county government doesn’t seem to mind it one bit. I guess their lawyers figure they have enough taxpayer money and insurance to cover the eventual costly lawsuit.

2 Likes

Strange thing the AI keeps showing these cops violating peoples civil liberty’s. Shall we deploy the swat team? Anybody? Bueler?

6 Likes

In line with the AI angle, this sure sounds a lot like something GLaDOS would say.

7 Likes

The thing about it is that victims of abuse probably are more likely to commit abuse later in life. There is good reason to want to have a proactive response to this to try to avert the cycle of abuse.

The police are not the right tool for the job. They are hardly ever the right tool for the job.

If a county were saying, we are sending out extra welfare workers and social workers to parts of the community where AI is letting us know that they can be of extra benefit, I don’t know that I’d have a problem with the retrospective surveillance. If they were saying, we are trying to find the kids who are most likely to drop out of high school based on their grades and their living locations and we are going to pay them to continue attending school and getting passing grades, I would think that a positive.

On the other hand, a policy of “we think you might turn out to be a criminal so we are going to start treating you like a criminal” seems like its only goal is to have self-fulfilling prophesy, to reinforce the cycles of abuse and incarceration.

Defund the police.

Fund social workers.

5 Likes

How hard is it to convene a court on operational security for this? My sensibilities say that I’d need their help deciding if putting a space program into the police presence within 500 yards of municipal facilities was throwing too much money at the problem. Or just liquid oxygen, really. Maybe just mushroom identification and the like vape shops.

?> X would be fine with this.

X better sell its guns for cash. Bill’s coming.

1 Like

Why not both?

In this case, AI = crystalized prejudice.

3 Likes

Looks like we better lock the police up.

2 Likes

Fully Automated Heuristic Bigotry. It is the future.

5 Likes

It would probably “surprise” you all to learn that AI is also often super racist.

Relevant to this story:

All this ends up being is your typical racist profiling but with enough of a level of abstraction to say, “it’s the machine’s fault!”.

11 Likes

Isn’t this pretty much the definition of a Police State?

5 Likes

We know how Trump got around the grade thing.

3 Likes

Isn’t Florida a Stand Your Ground state?

How long after a cop gets shot in the middle of the night in on of these raids will this program end? And why hasn’t one of these late night visits ended in a hail of shotgun shells after waking an armed citizen?

1 Like