Florida property-tax auction winner didn't realize he was bidding on a 12"-wide strip between two houses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/18/tropical-baarle-nassau.html

4 Likes

Wait, it goes right through the middle of the house? Can the new owner start charging rent on a 12" strip running through the middle of the house?

I heard this story on the radio this morning and thought it was a tiny strip between two houses. I had mental images of someone making the shortest nature trail in the world or planting some very narrow trees on the lot, but that won’t work at all if there’s a house sitting on top of it.

14 Likes
16 Likes

He should use the strip of land to raise roosters. His new neighbors will be offering to buy the land from him in no time!

22 Likes

Where is Florida man when you most need him?

12 Likes

Oh god how I do love Floriduh.

3 Likes

I’d be almost as embarrassed to have won that monstrosity of a house(s?).

1 Like

I would think that if I were those two condo owners, I’d be buying that land post haste… the shenanigans that could happen would be inane!

8 Likes

It goes between the two parcels that make up the building. Presumably it’s the result of the developer sub-dividing.

1 Like

Spaghetti farm much?

7 Likes

100% what i was thinking. Seems like a perfect way to get unsuspecting homeowners to suddenly have to start paying rent. They are encroaching on someone else’s property after all.

Thankfully it doesnt seem that this new owner is interested in exploiting this zoning issue but i can easily see some scummy person doing just this.

6 Likes

Want them to buy it? Check local zoning laws and, if allowed, put a billboard up for a strip club. They’ll be happy to fork out the money in no time.

4 Likes

A video billboard. A bright one.

7 Likes

In SF you could house half a dozen startup kids in stacked hammocks on that 12" strip of land and make a fortune! Alas, it’s Florida.

16 Likes

Can’t tell if typo or really on point.

13 Likes

Since it is on a strip I would build a strip bar. Or maybe a coffee bar with bikini baristas. Either way, polarizing.

3 Likes

I think tiny strip guy should hook up with swastika guy. Of course, in FL that might go over well and not badly.

1 Like

Better yet: Snake Farm!
That should get the neighbors to buy it off you.

8 Likes

First thought was they could put in a Center for Kids and Adults who Don’t Read Contracts Good.
Second thought was Air BnB lets you rent campsites. You might have to restrict it to thin people who carefully sleep on their sides.

11 Likes

I see what you did there.

8 Likes