Florida school principal unsure if Holocaust happened now certain to lose job

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/09/florida-school-principal-unsur.html

7 Likes

Certain to lose job? Quote says he’s being reassigned…

5 Likes

“you have your thoughts, but we are a public school and not all of our parents have the same beliefs.”

The Holocaust isn’t a matter of belief, you dithering idiot. That’s the point. Do you also refuse to acknowledge that the earth is round and vaccines actually work and don’t cause autism?

59 Likes

Were these follow-ups supposed to be rhetorical questions? 'cause for some reason rhetorical questions aren’t really working anymore. We’re still looking into WTF happened.

30 Likes

Good riddance. Holocaust deniers need to be removed from any kind of educational position.

34 Likes

https://ww2.vet.org/?r There also some people, still alive, that had fought against this and have freed people closed in concentration camps.
By the way I suppose that XX century history is taught in US schools, isn’t it?

I have read this book as a kid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_This_Is_a_Man it’s a first hand story about concentration camps. And also this, a bit lighter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Periodic_Table_(short_story_collection)

10 Likes

I wish this ignoramus was the rare exception in America in 2019, but that’s all it is: a wish.

It’s become very clear in recent years that once a critical mass of people who lived through a traumatic period of history die, large parts of society start forgetting it – often willfully.

29 Likes

Well then, just to be safe they better not teach anything, because who knows what anyone in the community believes.

Why is the Holocaust up for debate but not the entirety of World War II? In both cases we have photos, films, documentation and millions of witnesses. The only difference is a dedicated group of racists who promote the idea that it never happened so they can perhaps get another chance at it.

44 Likes

Jebus I hate this mushy-headed nonsense. There is no objective, shared reality in which some events or concepts are demonstrably true or false, there are just different opinions and viewpoints that all deserve equal consideration. Weaponized ignorance masquerading as thoughtful consideration.

17 Likes

The school district did not initially punish Latson for his comments.,would be immediately reassigned because “his leadership has become a major distraction for the school community.” … The district said Latson had “made a grave error in judgment in the verbiage” of his email to the parent.

So, it was fine, until…uh oh, people are upset. That is distracting, and yeah, we aren’t going to condemn what you incorrectly believe or the fact that you are responsible for teaching these kids the truth, but you really should check how you word things in your emails.

FFS.

14 Likes

School folks do not benefit from the knowledge provided by their own curriculum. News at 11.

6 Likes

For real, though; that kind of willful cognitive dissonance is incredibly disturbing to me, when some people insist upon denying reality.

25 Likes

I wonder if he’d continue valiantly defending the beliefs of these parents if he heard some of their…other beliefs on race? Like, say, about his own, and not about people in Europe 70 years ago?

5 Likes

Florida Man, Florida Man / Hit on the head with a frying pan / Lives his life in a garbage can / Florida Man.

17 Likes

Is he a mess?

And is he obsessed?

When he goes underwater, is he surprised he’s wet?

17 Likes

Adios a-hole.

3 Likes

It takes a certain level of stupidity to be a holocaust denier.

It takes an even higher (lower?) level of stupidity to not know that you should publicly hide your sentiments. In a certain sense, these equivocal anti-semites acknowledge its truth when they are coy about their disbelief.

But this guy is in a different category altogether. I think he’s just a simpleton who “has heard” that “there just wasn’t much to the holocaust” and he’s so simple he then parroted back that view to a parent. Truly, how in seven hells does someone so demonstrably incompetent rise to become principal of a school?

William Latson , the principal of Spanish River High School in Boca Raton, Florida, said, “Not everyone believes the Holocaust happened.”

What was missing: “…And we call those people: neo-Nazis, anti-semites, idiots.”

14 Likes

Boca Raton’s Jewish population: 65k
Boca’s total population: 98k

Ergo: 2 out of every 3 people in Boca are Jewish.

Long story short: Of all of the places choose this stupid counterfactual hill to die on you chose Boca Raton?

16 Likes

Sounds like a Hume-ian skeptic

“but we are a public school and not all of our parents have the same beliefs”

Just because the public education system catastrophically failed those parents is no excuse not to properly educate their children. The whole argument of education going against “personal beliefs” is garbage.

19 Likes