An administrator of a Texas school insists that books sharing the 'opposing' view must be offered alongside those teaching about the Holocaust

Originally published at: An administrator of a Texas school insists that books sharing the 'opposing' view must be offered alongside those teaching about the Holocaust | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Imagine being the poor resource librarian who has to call up a publisher to ask if they have any “pro-holocaust” textbooks available.

67 Likes

Disaproving Rupert

28 Likes

Sounds like more of the “teach the controversy” bullshit.

Of course they never want to teach the other “controversies,” just the ones that support their worldviews.

teachthecontroversy

77 Likes

This would make a great t-shirt.

19 Likes

Most of them would probably look at those images and think “Exactly!”

26 Likes

I can imagine a Texas school board executive trying to force teachers to teach every single one of those…

17 Likes

They are T-shirts.  

40 Likes

Darn…there goes my $1MM idea.

ETA: Just bought me some controversy teaching shirts.

30 Likes

I would suggest that Texas teachers come together to fight this by refusing to teach anything in the classroom – and hold the line, as long as it takes – but I know that a certain number of them totally agree with this nonsense.

31 Likes

In theory there could be multiple “opposing views”-- for example I could write a book that says the Holocaust happened but millions of Jews and Roma were just abducted by aliens.

How much money do you have in your book budget, Texas?

26 Likes

What book would be considered the “opposing viewpoint” if they have The Bible in the classroom?

40 Likes

Previously, in Southlake:

22 Likes

LbBQmI3

40 Likes

Fire the Nazi

26 Likes

Unfortunately you have the works of David Irving and his ilk out there.

3 Likes

#notallnazis

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, that is the goal of the administrator who wants this sort of policy put in place in the first place.

21 Likes

While that may be true, I’d further posit that the other significant issue would be a number of them unwilling to risk their careers over a battle they may see as unwinnable, and instead (hopefully) trying to effect positive change from within, rather than being summarily ejected from the system.

IMHO, we’re already asking enough of those who are trying to do good work at all levels of the education system already, despite meager wages and having to endure the pointless political stupidity of this school administrator.

30 Likes

And this one…

teachboththeories

32 Likes