Texas school district fires 8th grade teacher for assigning Anne Frank's Diary

Originally published at: Texas school district fires 8th grade teacher for assigning Anne Frank's Diary | Boing Boing

3 Likes

" it was included on a reading list sent to parents at the start of the school year, KFDM reports."

I misread that as KMFDM.

But… I actualy think KMFDM’s take on this censorship would be excellent.

24 Likes

the tough guys are triggered by mere words. again, who are the snowflakes?

21 Likes

written in 1947 by holocaust survivor Anne Frank

Anne Frank died in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in February or March 1945.

39 Likes

If you had “Anne Frank is too sexy” on your Party Of Ideas Bingo card, you can fill that one it.

14 Likes

written in 1947 by holocaust survivor Anne Frank

Oh no. @Carla_Sinclair, I think you were looking for “published in 1947 following Frank’s death at the hands of the Nazi party”

25 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

It would probably be a nice, short pithy statement, such as “fuck that”… but in German.

True. Her father was the only family member to survive and he published the diary after the war ended…

27 Likes

Wait a minute? Nobody was shocked they sent children to concentration camps? Nobody was sadened as 13 years old girl died alone, far away from Her family in a filthy death Camp?

25 Likes

It’s okay that she sadly died… the real crime here is that children were made aware of naughty bits… /s

26 Likes

I’m trying to remember when we read Anne Frank’s Diary when I was in school in Texas. I think it was sophomore year of high school. Doesn’t matter. We read it. Everyone should read it in school. It should be mandatory. And 8th grade is fine. Ridiculous. I’m getting so tired of these people.

32 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

20 Likes

When reactionaries attacked “the left”* it was always projection or accusation in a mirror. How many times did they falsely accuse us of banning books?

* Not the actual left, just anyone they didn’t like, from Marxists and anarchists to capitalists who realised that there was money to be made in markets that weren’t all cis-het white men.

18 Likes

Just remember in Texas, they are more likely to ban Diary of Anne Frank than assault weapons.

26 Likes

Yes, thank you! I just corrected it.

19 Likes

This blockading of scientific honesty, my friends, is part of the reason why some adult men believe that women pee out of their vagina. :man_shrugging:

16 Likes

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

11 Likes

While I don’t doubt they did have a problem with the description of female anatomy, we all know that’s just the tip of the iceberg. They don’t want kids to be taught sex education, but they also don’t want kids to be taught about history, fascism, oppression, or the experiences of vulnerable populations. In most people, a good, fact-based education of those topics leads to the natural development of empathy, bodily autonomy, critical thinking, antifascism, the desire for justice, and other qualities antithetical to the status quo.

29 Likes

We read it in junior high, I think it was 7th grade, but it was the edited version.
A subversive classmate told us about all the stuff we were missing as she read the unedited version.

26 Likes
11 Likes

I’ve been reading Vagina Obscura, and our current trajectory fits right into the arc illustrated in that book, over 1000 years, knowledge of female anatomy repeatedly becoming mainstream, then deliberately obscured, manipulated and contradicted by powerful men over and over.

18 Likes