Folgers and Arnaud's apparently engage in fraud, swap out expensive coffee for crap

It might be placebo (even though I know better) or a strong flavor in the morning might somehow wake me up more. But I much prefer dark roast in the morning.

Also starbucks is shit. Burned, acidic. Not good.

At home I have a pour over automated coffee maker that I use with ample amounts of espresso grind for my morning brew. Cafe bustelo mostly, although stores have figured out it is good shit and now it costs more than European brands of espresso.

1 Like

I do also prefer a darker roast, the coffee doesn’t necessarily need to taste super dark but i enjoy the bitterness. Depending on the type of bean though light or medium roasts are fantastic but i’m not very fussy over the type of coffee i make at home, i just get a dark Colombian roast and i’m happy.

2 Likes

Me too but not the spouse so much so it depends on the bean.
We get about a weeks worth at a time and I grind a 1/2 cup for the french press. That gets us the daily amount of caffeine required.

For the rest of the day Nescafe decaf crystals is close enough for me. Thanks to kidney stones I like to stay hydrated but water just makes me feel bloated but I can drink the fake coffee or a decaf tea/tisane all day.

coffee

gross

Black tea drinker who is constantly mystified by people’s love of coffee. /s

7 Likes

Percolated Coffee that’s been freeze dried and reconstituted versus Percolated Coffee served Fresh. Your choice.

That would be very confusing over on this side of the Atlantic:

4 Likes

Yep. For some reason quite a few people get offended or at least take is as a challenge, when I tell them that I drink my coffee black. For some reason they don’t like it when I answer that I want to drink coffee, not sugary milk shakes.

1 Like

giphy%20(53)

3 Likes

Camp Coffee is an important ingredient if you’re making a coffee cake. Nothing else quite like it.

2 Likes

I think there’s a middle ground between a Frappucchino and the rather-painfully-charred black drip coffee at Starbucks. I enjoy black coffee, or just coffee with cream, and find their plain black house coffee very difficult to drink. Iced, or with a bit of cream, it’s not bad. And I very much enjoy the Christmas Blend and the coffee out of the Clover. I know that lots of people prefer their lattes (I think it’s one of their most popular drinks) and all of that hot foamed milk mellows the char flavor of the espresso well, even without sugar.

1 Like

Wow, I’m adding this to my list of “must-try” items for my next trip to GB. Thanks!

I’ll plan to try some, and it makes me wonder what people use in the US. Gotta compare a few recipes.

Now that’s just weird.

1 Like

I’m given to understand that Darjeeling tea is best appreciated as an unadulterated black tea-- though that’s not how I drink it.

Proper tea is loose leaf.

https://www.uptontea.com

Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t drink coffee at all and lives in an area where the predominate coffee chain is Tim Hortons rather than Starbucks I’m interested in how the two chains compare. Anyone have any opinions?

No, proper tea is theft.

7 Likes

What did Proudhon drink?

5 Likes

At least once upon a time:
Tim’s coffee is legendary, vs. Starbucks being merely ubiquitous. Plus, donuts.

Starbucks is more about the experience than the product. Tim’s was (is?) the reverse. There’s more than a few US folks I know who lose their minds over Dunkin’ Donuts coffee, though I’m willing to accept that proximity to donuts helps that case, too.

Maybe the commercial folks were primed with a maple bar or a nice chocolate old-fashioned first. I know I’m amenable to just about anything if pastry mode has been engaged first.

2 Likes

Starbucks if you get a basic espresso drink is fine. If you like a dark dark roast then the drip is fine, if not well then bitter and burnt.

Tim’s isn’t awesome but it is decent and goes well with the donuts. I would definitely take Tim’s over Starbucks for a drip.

1 Like