Foo Fighters demand bullshit terms from concert photographers

Oh I agree, and most rock stars are very responsible. However you never know who might slip through the screening process.

3 Likes

Right. Photogs have no choice but to use big DSLR. Full frame sensors donā€™t come in small form factors and cameras like the DSC-RX1 canā€™t possibly take professional quality pics.

1 - Unless youā€™re very close, youā€™re not going to get much of a useful newspaper shot of the band with that 35mm fixed lens. Yes, cropping is an option thanks to the FF sensor, but thereā€™s still only so much you can accomplish.
2 - If youā€™re close enough to be using that 35mm fixed lens, security is going to pretty easily pick that out as a banned ā€œprofessionalā€ camera, provided you managed to sneak it past them in the first place. Itā€™s a small camera, but itā€™s not ā€œtuck it into your jeans pocketā€ small. Hell, I was forced to check my old Panasonic G2 (with 20mm 1.7 pancake lens) at a concert because it was ā€œtoo professionalā€.

Hey, if you wanna live in a world of no and canā€™t, thatā€™s awesome. Me, Iā€™m the kind who thinks I canā€™t know for certain if I donā€™t try

Right, and those shots are obviously taken right from the very front of the stage. See my point 2 above. Iā€™m not saying you canā€™t get good photos with small (or non-ā€œprofessionalā€) cameras, Iā€™m saying you canā€™t get good sneaky photos, to try and get around the bullshit photo agreement. As I said in my original post talking about this, if youā€™re near enough to the front you could probably score some great shots with an RX100 class camera. See this previous post right here on BoingBoing, and thatā€™s with the original RX100. But trying to get in and get away with using anything even remotely ā€œprofessionalā€ looking (and yes, the RX1 would certainly be classed by security goons as ā€œprofessionalā€, if my old G2 was), youā€™re going to be running up against a whole lotta brick walls. Particularly with a Foo Fighters concert, where itā€™s extremely likely that theyā€™re going to have a bag search (and also likely a frisk policy, based on my previous experience with such calibre of shows) in effect to make sure that drugs arenā€™t being sneaked into the venue (itā€™d be much easier to sneak something in at a Taylor Swift concert, for example).

Iā€™m totally uninterested in what happens at pop music events; I was just commenting on the transfer of the word ā€œprofessionalā€ from a person to an object, which is pure marketing speak.

Itā€™s even less than marketing speak, in this context, since the definition is entirely at the discretion of security goons.

No, actually, itā€™s very little like that. It could maybe be said to be a little like trying to produce production-grade code using voice-to-text software. But the apparatus has significantly more to do with the final product in photography than in coding.

Itā€™s not really reasonable to expect Dave Grohl to personally review every line of legalese that swirls around an act as big as the Foo Fighters. Might as well blame him because one of his roadies assaulted someone.

(Also, the actual reason you should think Dave Grohl is cool is what happened when he fell off the stage and broke his leg in the middle of the second song at a show in Sweden recently. The first thing he did was finish the damn song. The second thing was tell the drummer to take over vocals and do some covers while he was rushed to the hospital, then return to finish the show with his leg in a cast.)

1 Like

And on top of that, heā€™s continuing the tour on a Game of Thrones inspired custom throne:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.