Forbidden Island is a fun cooperative tabletop game

Fortunately it’s only aesthetic. I mean the visual depictions of the characters, not lens flares.

1 Like

Magic Maze is excellent!

You cooperate to move 4 characters through a maze to pick up some items and make their escape, while racing against the clock. The catch is that while each player can move all 4 characters, they can only move them in certain directions- so maybe one player can move a pawn North, another can move it West, and a third can open doors. And while the timer is running, you can’t talk to each other…

This is one of the better ways I’ve seen of dealing with the Alpha Player problem which is common in co-operative board games (where one player ends up telling everyone else what to do).

4 Likes

I just thought of another really fun cooperative game - Forgotten Waters. Or as we started referring to it, Choose Yarr Own Adventure. It’s a branching-narrative pirate game where each character has personal goals, but is also trying to help the rest of the crew accomplish whatever the mission is, as you all pilot your ship through dangerous seas. You choose your actions based on your notoriety amongst the crew, roll dice to perform skill checks, and use an app that tells you which page to turn to based on what you just rolled. The storytelling is great, and they even got pretty good voice actors to read the story passages, though we often opted to read them ourselves in our chosen character voices. I don’t recall any of the themes being particularly adult; there was certainly no profanity, but there was drinking, and stealing, and references to…other adult activities. I’d say minimum age would be 12? Depends on your parenting preferences, I suppose.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.