Forced by shortages to sell chipless ink cartridges, Canon tells customers how to bypass DRM warnings

I got a free Epson that way (14 years ago; I think the accompanying software has to run in compatibility mode now). But the ink cartridges each hold about 2-3 tablespoons of fluid. If someone has a school project, that means we’re going to need more cartridges and/or we will when tbe project’s done. But with Covid, they’ve pretty much switched to PowerPoint-type presentations in lieu of (for example) STEM fair backboards, so I haven’t bothered with refills for nearly 2 years (and the print nozzles are presumably dried shut by now anyway). Still useful as a scanner, though.

1 Like

Well, in both cases it’s about market share a lot.

1 Like

The ET-8550 looks like the printer I wanted but didn’t exist when I bought my ET-15000. I don’t really need most of its business-y functions. Similarly, it can print up to 13x19 but only scans 11x14 max. To me this was a worthwhile tradeoff (I don’t even print 13x19 generally, but I like having the option).

There are EcoTank printers that scan up to 11x17 (the 16000-series) but the print quality for photos/media wouldn’t be the same level as the ET-8550.

2 Likes

Hasn’t Canon just told its customers to violate the DMCA? Or is “the manufacturer said it’s ok” a valid defence to bypassing DRM.

Come to think of it, is Canon on shaky legal ground distributing tools to bypass DRM?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.