Forensics company advises cops not to look at seized Iphones, to avoid facial-recognition lockouts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/13/rectangular-basilisk.html

1 Like

17 Likes

Isn’t any unauthorized attempt by a police officer to access a device considered a DMCA violation?

1 Like

Please. That law’s for peasants, not rulers.

11 Likes

Or else… http://thelaundryfiles.wikia.com/wiki/SCORPION_STARE

3 Likes

Apple needs to introduce “Securi”, Siri’s Clippy-like security mascot:

Securi: “It looks like you’re trying to unlock this phone. Would you like me to unlock it for you?”
Officer: “Uh, yeah!”
Securi: “I see you’re wearing a police uniform so I’ve wiped the phone’s memory and replaced it with a copy of the Constitution.”

11 Likes

if Iphones sense too many unlock attempts with faces other than those registered as trusted, they fall back to requiring additional unlock measures like passcodes or fingerprints.

Not to be pedantic, but I don’t think there are any iPhones with both Face ID and a fingerprint sensor.

4 Likes

Phone software should offer lock/wipe initiation if owner makes a particular expression or quick sequence of expressions.

Cops point phone’s Face ID cam at owner, owner makes a quick smirk then eye roll and then the phone silently requires secondary verification within X seconds or game over.

4 Likes

Alert! Code Duckface! Repeat, Code Duckface!

1 Like

MarionDontLookAtIt

2 Likes

I like this. It’s kind of neat to see technology that is kind of scary (face recognition) actually backfire a bit.

And as a side note, if you’ve ever played the Metro computer games, this might remind you of facing off (or not) with the Librarians…

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the cops can use hand-mirrors to look at them, like with gorgons.

2 Likes

df970626

1 Like

Indeed, no iPhone has both Face ID and Touch ID.

But then this article is about an ‘Iphone’. I have never seen or heard of this device before, so maybe it has both?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.