Forever 21 Meets The Fountainhead

In a fun piece of web-era coincidence, I’m just made it to the “Atlas Shrugged” episode of the flophouse podcast. Specifically, just enjoyed Elliott Kalan’s well-reasoned claim that all the best slopes are slippery…

Elizabeth Moss: born to play Ayn Rand.

Forever 21’s niche is Cheap Chic, says the nytimes. I suppose that by the time the clothing has disintegrated, the next micro trend will have arrived.

1 Like

I think Ayn Rand would’ve been okay with this misquote because it is true to her message, which was that you should live your life in accordance with your own values, not the values of other people or of society as a whole.

In The Fountainhead, Howard Roark wants to design buildings his own way irregardless of what other people think of them. He lived his life in accordance with what he thought was good and true, even if it was unpopular.

The antagonist in the novel, Peter Keating, on the other hand didn’t even want to become an architect. He chose the profession because his mother felt it was a noble pursuit. He lived his life in accordance with what others told him was good and true. Becoming popular was his only objective.

Oooh, a book report! Can I see a picture of the diorama?

4 Likes

How people dress isn’t always about how others view them… sometimes people dress a certain way because THEY want to…

9 Likes

You mean those others who say that “irregardless” is not an actual word?

5 Likes

What’s next? Phyllis Schlafley backpacks and outdoor gear?

3 Likes

One day, when you least expect it, I will make you pay for that image.

7 Likes

Thank you! I found it, maybe here.
At the time I was working on a thesis project about cardiac genetics and it really reflected the major theme of my life.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed in the movies that creepy psycho killer intellectual super criminals have copies of Nietzsche laying about the house. The camera loves to linger over his name with an uneasy drone in the soundtrack – which ponderous tome of philosophy by Nietzsche are we looking at? It doesn’t matter. Don’t read the Nietzsche, people, it’s gonna mess you up like this guy with too much white at the top of his eyes.

So when is Hollywood going to swap out the Nietzsche and drop in a weighty, unnameable Rand tome? Hasten the day.

7 Likes

And architecture, for that matter.

2 Likes

The problem is that while is it entirely believable that the intellectual super criminal reads Nietzsche, it’s a little far fetched that they read Rand. Now if it was a movie that focused on a creepy loser who shouts about libertarianism on the internet, a tome of Rand would make a lot of sense.

6 Likes

N.B.: @AcerPlatanoides

4 Likes

One of these days I want to see a Venn Diagram showing the intersection of those who legitimately subscribe to Ayn Rand’s values and those who legitmately subscribe to the values of Fight Club.

You got me there. The best take down of Ayn Rand I’ve ever seen is a (possibly) defunct website that presented you with a series of quotes and you were supposed to determine whether the source was Ayn Rand or Marquis De Sade. I think the only real way to tell them apart is that Rand was largely silent on the subject of poop eating.

9 Likes

Ever heard the expression “your right to swing your fist stops an inch before you hit my face”? There are building codes for a reason. Sometimes architects have to do things that don’t fit their precious design ideals because it’s necessary for building stability, etc.

Edited because when you change a subject from singular to plural you have to change the darned verb to match. English is so picky!

3 Likes

If I remember the book right Howard Roark did adhere to the building codes (until he blew up a low-income housing project for bastardizing the purity of his Visionary Design), but the idea of “designing buildings his own way irregardless of what other people think of them” is silly. All architecture ultimately succeeds or fails based on how the people who use said buildings relate to them.

4 Likes

Doesn’t take much in the way of enlightenment to see that a poor person enjoying Ayn Rand is only slightly less weird than a Jew enjoying Mein Kampf.

4 Likes

You’re right, of course, but there are highly-paid architects who will disagree with you.