Forget about hygge. Now it's all about uitwaaien.

I have a question about that. German “gesellig” is a very social thing and you can’t really be gesellig on your own, while “gemütlich” does not require more than one person. Is it similar in Dutch?

5 Likes

Yes. Let me over explain… :slight_smile:

Gezel (Dutch) or Geselle (German) was originally a low rank in craft guilds, apprentice. Some trade schools still use these words. Gezellig/Gesellig refers to the pleasant camaraderie and community of young apprentices.

Gemütlich (German) or Gemoedelijk( Dutch) refers to Gemüt or moed, directly related to the English word mood (and all the way back to early indo-european mater, the maker of humans.) These words have a wide meaning but mostly refer to a personal property like character, mood, person, human being.(*)

So Gesellig/Gezellig is what you experience as a group, Gemüt/Gemoed is your personal reaction to your surroundings which can include your company.

9 Likes

Still a rank, but Geselle ≠ assistant. Gesellen have passed their journeyman’s examination at the Chamber of Crafts, which officially ends their apprenticeship.

2 Likes

I thought we were all doing kalsarikänni

5 Likes

Now you’re talking!

5 Likes

IKEA?

… Nah, but seriously I could really go for their meatballs right now :grin:

2 Likes

As someone once famously said, “I’m just going out, I may be some time”

It’s nice to know there’s an actual name for this concept, after getting on for fifty years of going out for a walk somewhere to get some fresh air and nice scenery. Although, my walks are usually built around the idea of a pub either halfway round, or at the end.
Or both. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.