Forgotten image formats worth knowin

TIFF is still very much alive, and very much in use- Ask anyone who deals with fax software.

and yeah, TGA files are still found lurking about for 3d programs. I seem to recall that second life wanted tga files for textures back in 04-05 when I was dinking around with it more heavily.

2 Likes

No PBM? A format for images you can edit in a text editor? What’s not to love?

P1
7 5
0 1 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1 1 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 1 0
1 0 0 0 0 0 1
1 Like

Tiff is a container for various kinds of image file formats, only a few of which are used by Faxes. Conversely, if I want a lossless copy of a photo (because JPEG is awful for certain types of images containing high contrast elements such as text), I can also save it in TIFF.

I’ll take your TIFF and raise you a PICT, which is still near and dear to my heart.

How I solved these problems ‘back in the day’ -

Still going strong 30 years later -
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/

8 Likes

It still does. I think the format’s popularity in 3D software is its overall flexibility and broad feature support (like 8-bit alpha transparency, which makes it useful for channel-packing*). PNG has similar capabilities, but TGA has been around longer and I’m guessing has more optimized loading pipelines. Assuming the source files aren’t being converted into a DXT5 or DXT11 compressed format internally, which is what Unity does to basically all of the image formats it supports (and it supports a lot of them).

*Not to get off-topic too far, but channel-packing is the art of cramming up to 4 8-bit monochrome image maps (like transparency, ambient occlusion, roughness, etc.) into a single 24- or 32-bit image to save on video memory. The R, G, B, and A channels are each loaded into a different “slot” in a material, meaning you only need one pointer to one image, instead of four images of the same resolution. It can make for some really funky-looking images, but as long as the engine knows what to do with each color channel, it doesn’t really matter.

3 Likes

star wars GIF

2 Likes

Early graphics systems liked their files to be laid out in specific ways–interleaving patterns and so on. Some graphics formats make this easier than others.

Ideally, you wanted a binary dump of what the graphics card wants, with no fancy preprocessing required.

I think TARGA supported up to 16 bits per channel. which seems absurd at the time. Maybe it makes dealing with scanners that much easier.

2 Likes

Unreal says it PREFERS textures are loaded in .tga format (8, 16, or 24bit please)

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised when I came across textures in .tga as I learn all these game dev tools… I was like “What year is it?!” but I gather tga has properties that are useful for game shit like this.

1 Like

Calling BMP dead seems like calling RS-232 dead; sure, it’s widely deprecated in contexts where complexity is an acceptable trade for power; but there are a lot of contexts where power complexity is either temporarily or permanently unaffordable; so something simple is fine, or even preferred.

(also like RS-232, this retreat toward a niche has led to, on average, a narrowing of what “.bmp” is actually likely to mean. With more powerful and flexible formats available, you are less likely to wander into OS/2 related compression methods, stuff only supported on winCE 5; or the bits aimed at bitmaps that are to be embedded as Windows Metafile records(unless you are specifically interacting with Windows software that uses EMF; not just looking for a format that an embedded device can dump from flash to framebuffer with very limited chewing)

2 Likes

I use two of these every day. Five color printing works really well with .bmp. .Tiff is just really well behaved in tasks that hop across a variety of systems.

3 Likes

You can also save a TIFF with JPEG compression, to get the worst of both worlds.

3 Likes

There there, somewhere SGI stuff lives on as an Imagination engineering edition phone with like 5 pounds of fancy metal shielding on the chips. I haven’t even grabbed the VR XPlane for phone uses yet. Or joined the Ocu-chan Army.

1 Like

Yeah, .ecc isn’t even in there. They really explored broccoli rabe, consensual space edition.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.