Four years of BBS

Things Discourse can do:

• :white_check_mark: buff mute (disallow PMs from mutee, to start) with an eye on eventually rolling up mutes and taking action on them*

• :white_check_mark: nerf restrictions in blocking new users who get flagged a lot (I think our defaults here are maybe too high)

• :white_check_mark: look at what we can do with Show Full Post (bear in mind, if the whole post is a video… not much we can do, I mean posts with actual text in them) — see the dedicated topic

• :white_check_mark: better navigation back to the main site

• :white_check_mark: nerf auto-topic flag close by making it default to a timed close vs a permanent close (added in 1.8)

• :white_check_mark: look at adding an “only allow PMs from trust level x and above” setting* (arrived in 1.9 beta)

Things that have to be taken up with BB staff proper:

• flag handling issues

• additional mods, even trusted volunteer mods from the community if such a thing is possible

Things I don’t know what to do with yet:

• mod deletion notifications, because loss aversion is one a hell of a drug and this adds mod friction. Lots of downsides here with little upside. Follow up in the dedicated meta topics on this if it is really important to you.

• mutes disallowing all forms of reply to you, not just PMs

So there’s at least 3-4 things we can get done in the next week from this list.

* in Version 1.8 and beyond. Discourse 1.7 will be released early in Jan, but you guys are always running a very recent beta version here so you effectively have 1.7 already.

8 Likes