We’re aware that the “Show Full Post” button may not work if there’s no text in the source BB post, if the whole post is just …
- a video
- an image
… with no text commentary or just a sentence. I don’t think that’s fixable, because the Readability algorithm used has to have some text to work with, not just an image or video standing alone.
So what I want to troubleshoot here is posts that aren’t working with the Show Full Post button, that is, you click the Show Full Post button, and it shows zero content. I’ll start by testing the last 10 BB blog posts:
- The Hardware Hacker: Bunnie Huang’s tour-de-force on hardware hacking, reverse engineering, China, manufacturing, innovation and biohacking – SFP works fine
- Kissenger “simulates” kissing loved ones – SFP works fine
- The 20 games you shouldn’t miss in 2016 – SFP works fine
- In one take, this guy shows all the cool skills he learned in 2016 – SFP works fine
- Need a cheap diffuser for your camera flash? Try a white balloon – SFP works fine
- Adult site data reveals 2016’s top trends: Melania and Matures are way up – SFP works fine
- No, Russia didn’t hack Vermont’s power grid – SFP works fine
- White House report documents the “hidden fees” that pick America’s pockets – SFP works fine
- Your smart meter is very secure (against you) and very insecure (against hackers) – SFP works fine
- Are you ready for robots skinned with sensitive hairs? – SFP works fine
I’m not seeing a huge Show Full Post button problem. We are definitely aware that posts with zero content other than a video or image won’t work well, but why should they? The point is to extract text to read, the “body” of the article. An article with only a picture or a video has no body.
It seems to me the only alternative here is to have a seperate algorithm that kicks in and and takes over when you fail out of The Readability Algorhithm and just tries to dump the first picture or video in verbatim?