Confusing ads (?) in full post links on bbs

I can’t tell if it’s intentional or if it’s an unsuccessful attempt at inserting ads into the BBS “Show Full Post” content on the BBS, but on a couple of articles on the site, there’s a bunch of copy (much of which looks like BB Store content) appended to the post content with nothing to visually distinguish one part from the next.

Suuuper confusing.

See e.g.:

…from:

…from:

6 Likes

See also

and
https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/homepage-updating-rather-slowing/176884/3?u=d_r
(and subsequent posts),

Unfortunately, @orenwolf’s response makes it sound like the problem will remain:
https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/homepage-updating-rather-slowing/176884/4?u=d_r

ETA: I am over the moon to see that this was pessimistic, and that the glitch is now fixed.

2 Likes

Well, that’s going to be annoying. But it’s better than what I first thought. The post I was reading made it look like Mark was deliberately adding random text and photos to his post on purpose - it was just weird. It really needs a fix from whomever can fix it because it makes BB look incoherent.

3 Likes

So these are two screenshots from the same article, one from the main site and one from the associated BBS page.

BBS:

Seems to be a vast amount of stuff appended to the BBS version… And on top of that theres no separator, so it initially confused me as to why the article veered off onto a tangent randomly.

Edit: has been reported already and i didn’t see that.

4 Likes

I am wondering if it a glitch as I keep seeing the same ad.

ETA @orenwolf something amiss in the articles coming over from the main site?

3 Likes

I do as well. It’s appended to everyfuckenthing, and I can’t adblock it. Makes it super annoying to read the articles.

4 Likes

It isn’t getting blocked cause the text is part of the article.
I just added a ping to Ken. I suspect it is a glitch at at least for me all the exact same ad.

3 Likes

Likely, yes.

2 Likes

Slower than normal.

Now this:

Multiple posts cemented together.

@orenwolf Strange things a foot.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s discourse deciding the related posts were part of the main post (probably because of the small amount of text). That one I don’t think I can fix.

6 Likes

I was just coming here to post about that weirdness.

@codinghorror;

The BBS is malfunctioning.

9 Likes

As I recall, there are allow-lists and block-lists of HTML tags when that expansion occurs in the site settings. I’d suspect a recent change in the underlying Boing Boing HTML first.

Keep the feedback coming as far as improving the overall experience here. These are difficult times for everyone and we want to help :hugs:

3 Likes

I clicked on the Read More on three different posts and each one first appears normal, then when I go back to one of those posts it’s been changed to multiple posts running together.

I’m just happy that I’m not seeing things. :dizzy_face:

ETA: Now it’s just mashing them together when I click read more.

9 Likes

For you, in the future, I will use more words.

8 Likes

I know we didn’t change anything, but it’s totally possible that our ad partners did. I’ll have to dig when I get a sec I guess, though CSS parsing is not one of my primary skillsets.

2 Likes

This needs to be a line for a villain in a movie. Innocent and helpful words that just might have very dark undertone. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The relevant settings are at

admin → customize → embedding

near the bottom. I’ll have someome from our team take a look too.

3 Likes

I will do some further checking but I gave a full read of the BB main page vs the extra text from the BBS. It looks like BBS is pulling from the main site with that article at the top and other articles and the two constant shop ads which are last on the main page.

Yeah, it’s likely that one of the <div> embeds was changed by one of the ad parters, but I don’t know which or how to remove it just yet (I am much further away from any sort of HTML/CSS dev than many people seem to think :wink: )

I’ll keep hunting though.

3 Likes

Clairfication the links to BB here are the article itself which is picking up the extra cruft. So I am going to go with something amiss on the main site.

2 Likes