Freewrite Traveler reviewed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/27/freewrite-traveler-reviewed.html

2 Likes

Highscreen-Handy-Organizer-mit-Microsoft-Works

6 Likes

I keep coming back to the idea of setting up an old mac classic as a writing tool.

Then I remember how many files I lost over the years to disk errors and nix it. Even though I probably lose a few bits of writing to cloud sync errors annually.

1 Like

You can grab one at launch for $430 plus shipping, but that’s a lot of dough for a portable text editor.

Yikes. I could get a couple of cheap laptops for that. I remember using a folding keyboard/stand unit with a Palm Pilot years ago. It was the most portable setup for writing I’ve ever had, because they could both fit in my pocket.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I have a Kindle and I got a bluetooth keyboard for it. Works well enough for me to write when I’m on the road and prices out at more like $100. Plus the Kindle can do so much more at roughly the same size.

I do love the idea of the Freewrite, but the form factor versus price just doesn’t impress.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve wanted to try that. Is the latency tolerable on the e-ink display? What are you using on the kindle to store typed text? I don’t recall seeing a note taking app. I was just thinking of replacing the OS.

1 Like

I have a copy of Microsoft Word I use on the Kindle, and I save everything to my Dropbox icon using the app (could also just write in Dropbox, but I found that to be not as good functionally). Latency wasn’t a problem, no delay between key strokes and appearing on the screen that I noticed (touch typist, so I’m usually watching the screen and not my fingers).

At least I THINK that’s how its setup, I may need to review how I saved those files. Truth be told, I haven’t had to use it since August 2019 for that functionality. All trips this year were canceled, so I’ve been WFH since March.

1 Like

For a device with a e-ink screen, ir has a very bad battery life. In the web they say 4 weeks assuming 30 minutes of daily usage. That’s 15 hours total. We have chromebooks and even Windows laptops that are near that. How can it be so low? There’s plenty of space on the device for a battery and it does not need a powerful CPU. A Kindle can last 10 times more.

1 Like

I remember using a folding keyboard/stand unit with a Palm Pilot years ago.

I had that same setup! I love the way the keyboard folded up into a little deck of cards sized rectangle. I went out of my way to find excuses to use it just for the fun of unfolding it. Thanks for the nostalgia!

2 Likes

How they continue is a mystery.
When I really want to write with low distraction quotient, I use a folding wireless keyboard and my iPhone (Pages), or my iPad mini. I love my folding wireless keyboard. Tiny form factor, high likelihood of actually writing.

2 Likes

I’ve been involved in low-volume consumer product rollouts and this high price totally makes sense - they can’t get volumes up for a reasonable discount and protracted development issues drove up the price for every month they didn’t release. There’s no good fix for it either - I’m betting the margins are crazy thin and they will take a bath on this whole generation of inventory they had to buy from the oversea manufacturers if they have to lower it to what the market will accept.

Also - everyone wants to be minimalist until they realize that the experience has to be perfect for it to be any good.

2 Likes

Thanks for that insight. It totally makes sense now why such a limited product would cost more than a low-end tablet with greater functionality. (That’s what I got. It’s garbage with latency issues, but it gets the job done.)

Generally around $30 on various sites (used, but usually in very good condition). A bargain.

1 Like

Absolutely wonderful gadget. Lasts a year on some AA batteries. Can output to practically any semi-modern system (open a text editor or word processor, plug this in, and hit Send; it’ll emulate a USB keyboard and type out the current file’s contents). No drivers or software needed, compatible with anything that can recognize a USB keyboard. Very high supply of both good quality used and new old stock. Designed for grade school kids, it’s extra durable.

Alphasmart Good.

3 Likes

I did this! A Mac SE, about 20 years ago…

… and also did this; the hard drive failed and it lost a whole bunch of work on it. I was so disheartened I just gave up on it. It’s now sitting on a basement on a shelf, moldering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.