From cancer to body odor, the future uses of the microbiome

[Read the post]

1 Like

Broken player is broken. Here’s a direct link to the mp3:

http://rss.acast.com/flashforward/microbutmighty/media.mp3

1 Like

I love that we are discovering how even ginormous beings are really just made of many, many little communities of teeny beings. I love the microbiome. It’s a metaphor for the planet, Earth. Where’s the gut again?

1 Like

We’re in it.

1 Like

Awesome.

1 Like

Explains why it stinks.

2 Likes

That’s okay; there’s some serious shit-making going on here, man.

3 Likes

“That’s some good shit.”

Word .

1 Like

(scary ghost says) Boo…

Does that make us the tapeworms?

1 Like

A friend of mine’s doctor always smells her when she goes in for a visit. Apparently that was much more prevalent before we developed all sorts of fancy diagnostic tools, but it’s still very informative to a skilled sniffer.

Plus those cancer sniffing dogs and death sensing cats I’ve read about…

2 Likes

There’s quite a lot of research going in analysis of trace molecules in exhaled air. You can get a lot of intel about what is going wrong from ammonia, acetone, terpenoids, various carboxylic acids and hydrocarbons…

Ion mobility spectrometry, possibly with a pre-sorting chromatographic column, could be a pretty interesting cheap-enough-to-mass-deploy method…

3 Likes

But not as cute as a cat… :slight_smile:

1 Like

But easier to train, easier to reproduce reliably, and more quantitative.

1 Like

…and you can keep it locked in a cupboard for couple years, then take it out, recharge, recalibrate, and it works again. Try this with a cat. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.