Frontier, a terrible company, is going bankrupt

Hughes is way overpriced because it’s direct satellite internet. It’s what you can get when there’s literally nothing else.

3 Likes

“Too big to fail” does not mean “our failure is impossible”.

It means “all your shit grinds to a halt if we die, so you cannot allow us to fail”.

3 Likes

I’m just outside Portland, Oregon and have had nothing but a great experience with Verizon FiOS (since 2007, 2008, whenever it first became available) which then became Frontier FiOS.
The only other choice was Comcrap for high speed, but they can go eat a bag of dicks.

The announcement to Frontier being sold off in Oregon was put out in May 2019 and in September I re-upped my service. Hopefully whatever happens with the company keeps me with 500 Mbps up/down and phone for the same $100 per month.

My experience of course has no bearing on the mismanagement of the company by a bunch of greedy assholes, that’s just par for the course in this day and age.

They are selling off their Northwest holdings to said private equity assholes.

https://stopthecap.com/2019/05/29/frontier-bails-on-idaho-montana-oregon-and-washington-in-1-35-billion-cash-deal/

What’s weird (I think) is that Verizon first rolled out FiOS in Keller, TX and yet it was one of the markets that they sold off to Frontier. Not sure who the phone company is there, these days, but some places around D/FW used to be GTE (the Light Side of Verizon). Where I live in Maryland, we’ve had FiOS for 10 or 12 years, I guess, but it’s still Verizon (as is the phone company).

ETA:

When I saw the headline, I wasn’t sure if this meant the communications company, or the airline.

They will milk Chapter 11 just like Windstream without any real hope of ever emerging from their ultimate demise.

I, too, am a former Verizon FiOS customer who has unfortunately remained with Frontier. The day Frontier took over for Verizon their services went down and stayed down. This was Friday, April Fool’s day, 2016. You can guess who the fool was.

I called them using my cell phone—my landline, of course, being Frontier—and asked when they expected services to be restored. I got two answers: “I don’t know.” “Maybe by Wednesday.”

I called Spectrum immediately after hanging up with Frontier. Spectrum had someone out the next day (Saturday) and had internet working immediately.

A trusting person might have been lulled into a false sense of security by this spectacular display of customer service. I chose to retain both Frontier and Spectrum.

I have a router that load balances both ISPs. Since 2016, neither ISP has had more than one week of uptime. Sometimes they’re both down simultaneously.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.