Frosty eats raccoon: the story of the carnivorous snowman

[Permalink]

Before knocking on the door, my guess would have been Bill Wattersonā€™s house.

10 Likes

An obvious exception would be a photo taken through the window of a private home even if taken from a public street.

Iā€™ve always had trouble wrapping my head around this, and where the line is drawn. Is that just for a closed window, or an open window? If Iā€™m standing on a balcony Iā€™m fair game, but if I take one step back and close a sliding glass door, Iā€™m certainly no less visible.

I would have looked around the neighborhood for more of Calvinā€™s handiwork.

2 Likes

Saw the picture, thought someone had gotten creative with roadkill.

1 Like

An interesting post - yes, the photographer stepped onto private property to get a closeup picture of the snowman, but I suppose you could have gotten the same photo if you took it from the street and cropped it.

I canā€™t wait till my kids are old enough to do fun snowmen like this. As it is, Iā€™ll settle for getting a snowfall with some actual packing snow. So far, this year has not been particularly good for that.

Great shot, nice story, and Iā€™m glad to see the Whigs performing again. I think I first saw you at the Jockey Club, and that ages us both!

If they have their front or back door open, Iā€™m pretty sure that itā€™s ok to fly a drone into their house and take all the shots you want.

5 Likes

How long have you been working for the NSA?

2 Likes

I was hoping they had put some messy food for raccoons in the mouth and that this was a live coon, eating. Ah, well, this is still great.

1 Like

That reminds me.

Knock knock.
Whoā€™s there?
Drone.
Drone who?
Section 215 says let me in.

2 Likes

Itā€™s simpleā€¦ have permission to be in the place that youā€™re photographing from and anything you can see from there is fair game.

1 Like

I think this post nicely illustrates the difference between ā€œlegalā€ and ā€œpolite/friendlyā€. In most countries with legal codes descended from English civil law (and many other countries too), it is legal to take and publish photos of what can reasonably* be seen without expectation of privacy from public land (with the exception of lewd/harassing photos) for artistic or journalistic purposes.

Thus, John would have been well within his rights to publish this photo here without permission from the Motz family, but it was polite and friendly, as always, to ask first.

* ā€˜reasonablyā€™ generally means no special actions to circumvent privacy measures - e.g. it would be legal to take a photo of someoneā€™s yard over a 2-foot picket fence from the sidewalk, but not to use a ladder to take a photo over a 12-foot fence from the same sidewalk.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.