Fun browser game tests how well you know your geographic area

The game thinks I live 10 miles away from where I actually do.

0/10 would not recommend

2 Likes

The last one it asked me is our cross street to the N. I hadta reallllly look at the map to figure it out, and managed to get it right. There are several nearby freeways which are confusing w/o names on.

It mostly wanted me to find little side streets in 'hoods I ain’t hip to. I got one of 'em on a lucky guess.

1 Like

Where I live, before GPS, it was turn left where the old fillin’ station used to be and then go down to the barn on the right and look for the green house.

There are street names but dang if I know all of them, I can find anything around town though.

I grew up in the big city, I did know Detroit and the surrounding area like the back of my hand but now, why rack my brain when it’s all inside that little box thing I carry around.

In my neck of the woods I would have scored 90 but we have one road that has 4 different names in a 6 mile stretch.

In my childhood neighborhood I knew all the street names and got within a few blocks but I wasn’t close enough.

2 Likes

the island i live on is small, so most of the diameter falls over water. lots and lots of short little streets and drives on either side of the US 1 (Overseas Hwy) that I don’t know names of. down here, directions are given in relation to the US 1, as it runs through all the main islands from Key Largo to Key West. example: mile marker along highway and oceanside or bayside as in "there is a Publix in Key Largo at MM 101, oceanside and a Winn Dixie in Tavernier at MM 92, bayside. street names not used very often, until you get into the subdivisions.
all that said, I got 3/5 for my (reduced by water) area.

2 Likes

Same here. What made it worse is the town’s population and number of housing developments have increased dramatically. A lot of that jumped out at me when looking at the map. I got lucky because of two references to older roads, and one with a name that reflected a new school.

1 Like

I got 21%, but I feel like that’s not so bad given that it selected a completely different borough to the one I’m in. Which is weird, because if it had asked permission my phone could have told it exactly where I am, instead of using a ropey IP-based geolocation service that probably costs money.

(Full disclosure, the borough it did show is one for whose government I used to work, so I probably should have done better. Although, I dunno, there are a lot of streets in London whose name is only relevant to the 24 people who live there)

I did well, but lots of the streets on their map aren’t streets. They are driveways and parking lots.

They hit me with a few stumpers and I didn’t even finish the game, which reminded me of the month or so that I experimented with being a cabbie. I can find my way from any point A in my city to any point B with no problem using landmarks and keeping track of the locations and orientation of major roads, but my knowledge of street names is far less encyclopedic than I once thought.

1 Like

Abysmal. Maybe I should turn off the VPN?

5 Likes

Just a nice little film. Nothing fancy, solid craft, fun to watch.

1 Like

For me it was 3 miles. But there was an option to fix that (which required allowing ‘location settings’ to be on in my browser/machine)

and @bobtato

There’s dozens of fiddly little residential streets in my small town and there’s absolutely no reason for me to go to any of them if I don’t know someone who lives there.

On the other hand I also didn’t know the name of a road I pass along semi-regularly…

2 Likes

39%. Considering I have only moved to this country and city two years ago that’s OK. Mostly I worked by extrapolating from street names what I know about the medieval and early modern layout of the city.

1 Like

What has challenged me since I learned to drive (and now with GPS systems) are roads with more than one name. There’s a route number as well as the name, but the name can change when it crosses from one municipality into another. PA and NJ have lots of these, and as a kid learning to navigate parts of Route 322, or one of the pikes - Baltimore Pike, Bethlehem Pike, West Chester Pike, the Black Horse Pike, or the White Horse Pike - it was a royal pain.

2 Likes

The game thinks I’m in another state, nearly 50 miles away!

6 Likes

People who don’t regularly use area maps have a much harder time with problems like these. Using any GPS driving system is great for getting to a destination, but for learning an area a big paper map is essential. Maps on screens are usually of too small a section to let you really interest and where road names change and how things fit together.

This thing seems to believe I live at the Ambassador Bridge. That’s 40+ miles from here. Then it gave me a bunch of streets in South Detroit. I know which one is the 401, but that’s as far as my Windsor, Ontario, Canada mapping skills go.

0/10, indeed.

2 Likes

It gets the address associated with your IP, which seems unlikely to correlate to your actual location in many cases. You can still click to centre the test area where you are, if you can be bothered

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.