Fun browser game tests how well you know your geographic area

Originally published at: Fun browser game tests how well you know your geographic area | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Like a táxi driver test.

8 Likes

This was tough. For being a relatively small community, there’s something like 300 kms of roads in my town. The first one was just down the street from me and I still missed it.

3 Likes

Got every answer wrong, by an average distance of just over a kilometer. So 0%. I don’t know the area around my job very well at all.

Around my house was marginally better at 28%.

I need to get out more.

8 Likes

I got 83 % on the second try. With some luck:

• One on my jogging route
  • One the main street of the city
  • Two where i guessed the quarter right
  • And one where i had no idea but hit it to within 11 m by chance

Another round: 0 %, 0 %, 0 %, 100 %, 100 % :person_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I live in the suburbs, I probably haven’t even been on or seen 90% of the streets around me

6 Likes

As a bicyclist, I generally know the streets around me, but here in Tijuana many of the street signs are missing. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Apparently I don’t know where I am, most of the time that is true.

11 Likes

Confused High Quality GIF

7 Likes

Oh, you know where you are, alright. You just don’t know where the rest of the world is. :wink:

I know where I am, right now!

6 Likes

it might help if you live in the area
that’s like before google maps mode…

I accidentally got one right

3 Likes

Better than me. My 28% was only because I got within a half kilometer of two of them.

2 Likes

74% and it was pretty much all or nothing.

1 Like

The area around me is littered with tiny block-long streets that I didn’t even know had names. I did not do well.

1 Like

Let me fix that.

Back of Your Hand is a “fun” browser game.

I scored very poorly. I guess I don’t travel around all of the endless curly-cue suburban neighborhoods as much as I should be.

3 Likes

I don’t know the names of any street where I live these days, except the one I live on. So, I tried it out on the town I grew up in. Had far more luck there, though it’s changed in the 35 years since I last lived there. But the very first street it asked if I knew? That was the street we lived on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, I thought this would be street view images, not names. I don’t care about names, but I know the street views very well. Ah well.

This is really hard. I’ve spent a lot of time on the back roads of this area, but remembering the street names in relation to each other and trying to match memories to a map is much harder than it sounds.

2 Likes

I felt like I was being used to optimize someone else’s mapping program.
Also there is no way to skip a street when you have literally no idea.
2/10 would not recommend.

3 Likes