Game key-selling platform assailed over stolen keys

G2A isn’t really a first sale doctrine problem since the problem isn’t (necessarily) that they are selling used software keys.

The problem is that it’s a way for the unscrupulous to launder keys that were obtained illegitimately for first sale and for G2A to foist them on an unsuspecting consumer.

Now this isn’t to say the big AAA game manufacturers can’t weather something like this. The way they pepper their games with gambling mechanics to milk money out of impressionable kids and those with addiction problems leaves me with little sympathy for them.

But it’s tough on small independent game companies that don’t have huge budgets but have to deal with the cost of offering support for, say, a reviewer’s key for a pre release version of the game that someone bought off G2A but wasn’t meant to be used when the game went live. Those independent game companies have made no money in the G2A transaction, and lose money paying for support personnel to help with a product they hadn’t intended for sale. This why they say that piracy would be preferable because at least they wouldn’t be losing money over the practice.

2 Likes

Its a little more complicated than that. There are authorized sellers of codes. For example if you buy a game on Amazon you can often opt for a physical copy or a code for the platform of your choice, or a Steam code or whatever. And some of the online stores out there purchase codes in blocks from publishers to sell off, including at a discount.

The codes in question here aren’t neccisarily those. And are not the equivalent of a used game. Its not a situation where you buy the game, play it or don’t. Then disassociate the code from your account and transfer ownership to another person or G2A for resale. Since you can’t really do that. The bulk of these codes are basically promotional codes. Either codes for downloads sent freely to press, streamers, and the like. Or offered as free promotional add ons for purchases of other games, or components and peripherals. Buy this new graphics card and it comes with 3 free games sort of thing.

And while a lot of re-sellers like G2A present themselves as ways for people with those codes to sell them to people who want those codes. In practice it seems like an awful lot of the codes on sale are not legitimately acquired.

They aren’t a sale that has been made, with a publisher trying to get a piece of its resale on the secondary market. Its a little bit like selling Oscar screeners, and dodging the problem of selling Oscar screeners by talking about how you’re a marketplace for citizens to sell all the free shit they get handed at conventions and trade shows.

Sure if you get some game codes as part of a package you paid good money for you should be able to shift those. But I don’t see why there needs to be a healthy trade in what are essentially review copies, and most of these codes appear to originate as what are basically review copies. Especially when the people they ostensibly belong too often don’t seem to know they’re on the market.

Publishers and Devs could tamp this down. Hand out fewer free codes. Give them an expiration date, find ways to make them non-transferable (like tying them to a specific transaction/ID). But where they have done the latter people have freaked the fuck out.

1 Like

I think you’re absolutely right that responsibility for maintaining control over codes — differentiating between retail copies and review samples — can (and should) fall on the publishers and developers. I don’t understand how they’re throwing up their hands and crying “it’s not fair things work this way” when they are the ones who create and maintain these code-verification systems.

But on the flip side of this, I strongly feel that third-party retailers and end consumers have absolutely no responsibility to “play within the rules” of these systems. Like you said, if you get some game discs with that new GPU and want to sell them, that’s your prerogative — any “not for resale” labels can take a hike.

2 Likes

There are third party sellers and there’s G2A. Your points make perfect sense and it’s plausible that these indie devs are just sour at G2A, but then you get shit like this:

When called out on it, they issued this response:

A lone employee contacted 10 game publishers with that request? Bullshit!

That’s how these scum run. Also, their refund policy is shady as fuck.

2 Likes

Two thoughts:

First sale is for the sellers. Monopolising, parasitical, crime-attracting middlemen are surely fair game for adbusting, boycotts, no-platforming and other fundamentally non-coercive actions.

However, keys limit the first-sale doctrine by design, so I think that it’s a red herring. Worrying about first sale rights of a number that becomes worthless when used and can be easily blacklisted? It’s surely more productive to fight the corporate environment supporting such a system than to fight for marginal consumer rights within it.

Fair enough.

And yet. I’ve seen a lot of people deeply upset about such codes no longer coming on a paper flyer in box, but instead requiring you claim them through the retailer or manufacturer website. Using an order number, component serial, or credit card from purchase, or other proof of purchase to get the codes. Along with expo dates and other attempts to make them less transferable. But none of those things are new. I bought a graphics card around 5 years ago that came with 3 games. It required registering the card with an AMD website to generate the codes.

Even as these things aren’t copies of the games, but basically manufacturer’s coupons. Tokens that can be exchanged for the games. I don’t see an issue with those being transferable, and I haven’t seen much in the way of industry complaints on that front.

But that doesn’t seem to be where most of these resold codes are coming from. If a dev provides a YouTuber 10 codes to distribute to their audience as a promotional thing. I don’t see how its OK for that guy to turn around and sell those coupons instead. And codes intended to provide access for coverage, or as a sponsorship quid pro quo likewise don’t seem to fit.

So even if the front line claim of what these sites are for is whats going on. It doesn’t nest too cleanly into the whole digital media should be as transferable as physical media position. Cause its not physical media, the actual copy of the game remains unclaimed in this situation. There are no discs involved, or even game files, its a coupon for a digital copy. And a lot of what’s out there isn’t something people have bought or paid money for.

You add into it the credit card fraud issues @Grey_Devil was on about. Which is apparently bad enough that Xbox live subscription codes and cards have become a black market currency. And the issues with stolen hacked and cracked codes and it looks a lot worse. Apparently there are ways to get at or generate codes before they’re distributed or claimed. Leading to people paying good money for codes that don’t work. When the seller is either sketchy, or a person who doesn’t know the code has been used already (say someone with one of those promo codes that was stolen and sold). Buyers turn to devs and publishers for restitution. And its even hit retailers of legitimate new codes. Like I dont think you can actually buy PC download codes through Amazon right now. They quietly suspended sales a while back, and a bunch of other retailers have openly done so because of issues with codes being stolen before they’re sold or claimed by the buyer.

It just doesn’t fit the easy model. These reselling sites are pretty fucking sketchy top to bottom and warnings not to buy from particular sites or particular games are incredibly common. Publishers can mitigate a bunch of different ways. But many of the ways of doing so disadvantage, or at least piss off, legit customers who have legitimate reasons and rights (in my opinion) to redistribute these codes. And not going after bad actors leaves a lot of other people holding the bag. Including legit customers and important retail partners.

So I think Rob’s suggestion of a portion of sales to the publisher makes sense. Not if you think of it as publishers being due a cut of secondary sales. As this is all shit they either handed out for free or they’ve already been paid for (however legitimately) and in no other area does a company get a cut of resale. But if you think of it as a fee for publisher side services in validating, replacing, unlocking codes for transfer and generally policing the codes themselves. Then you got a way forward that doesn’t involve just shutting the whole thing down.

When the rules in question include “don’t launder money” and “don’t sell fake and stolen goods” you kind of hit the limit of that.

2 Likes

Except the developers with the issues are small indie operations that can’t afford the credit card charge-backs from the scammer originally buying the game with stolen credit cards. And these developers are saying “don’t buy from g2a, please pirate them instead.”

EDIT

Maybe this would help provide context:

Do you really think people are reselling card packs as a legit above board independent business?

The site also allows the “resale” of in-game currency for 1/3 the cost, which involves people signing into your game account and buying the currency. It’s literally endorsing people to buy stuff with a stolen credit card for profit.

2 Likes

Well that’s just an outright disaster. Especially since your log in for hearthstone is also your log in for WoW, Destiny 2, and other games that have tradeable things the people with your account information could turn around and sell for real money. Giving someone your password is a bad plan, and a site selling a service that requires it is bad.

G2A sounds like a positively sketchy black market for reselling hot goods and laundering stolen money. I guess I don’t want to confuse that with the idea that we need to prop up the weird everything-is-a-licence model of purchasing games. Black markets where people hawk stolen goods are a problem even in the world of physical objects.

I agree, and places like Gamestop often end up being used as alternatives to pawn shops to sell off stolen games, consoles, movies, etc because Gamestop doesn’t ask questions they just want cheap goods to resell for profit. G2A is the digital equivalent of it basically

that’s not what a pawn shop is tho

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.