Game review: Battletech

I have seen a few pop up for sale over the years. Some are in private collections and there are actually a few locations in the US that still have them, according to the BattleTech Center Wikipedia page.

They actually had two games for the pods, and I preferred Red Planet. It’s still the most fun I’ve ever had playing videogames.

1 Like

I have no idea if they are the same pods, but GenCon always has a bunch of them. I don’t know where they are the other 51 weeks of the year though.

1 Like

I actually have this (on mac, from steam) from a pre-order and have yet to play it (but then I just finished Xcom2, I’m a bit behind!). Thanks for the review though @SeamusBellamy, I can’t wait to get into it!

There was a game on my amiga called Mechforce, that to this day remains my absolute favourite battletech game:

No pretty mechs, just lots and lots of tactical battletech combat. :slight_smile:

If that’s your bag you should check out MegaMek.

It is a fan effort and looks like it, but these are insanely dedicated fans. It’s not so much a game as a simulator though. There is zero story, although you can find people online who run Mechwarrior campaigns using this to do the battles. It implements pretty much every weird corner rule someone ever put on paper (optionally in many cases), and has every mech ever made. There’s quite a lot of art in there for different mechs as well. It is the definitive translation of TT Battletech to the computer.

The big thing holding back is a severe lack of polish and an AI absolutely not equipped to deal with the tactical complexity of full fat Battletech.

1 Like

One thing I can do (and kind of pretty much have to do anyway, lacking suitable hardware) is wait.

The Switch is certainly turning out to be a choice slab for indie developers, though.

For new releases, I can well understand the necessity of having the latest hardware, but it seems likely that with additional dev time, performance on older hardware should be something that can be improved. And 2015 hardware isn’t exactly old or outmoded.

I might have been somewhat addicted to this game for the last 3 months or so.

I too had the manuals (still do, I think it’s on that shelf just over there) but never got the miniatures. What I do still have are photocopies of all the mech/character sheets needed to play.

The biggest problem with the game was always that the mechanics are awesome, and clunky to use. A paper and pencil game takes real long time.

Couple years back at PaxEAST I came across these guys, who have managed to combine TWO of my nerdy teenage preferences. Lego and Battlemechs. and it saves a lot of the paper and pencil hassle (and you can make your own damn robots!)

2 Likes

Do we have enough players here to get some BoingBoingist multiplayer games going? We could have a little league…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.