General Moderation Topic

I would love for there to be a general Anita Sarkeesian (or more accurately a TvWiVG) thread that you can dump those conversations into. Then the people interested in the new work she is doing can discuss that without the entire conversation focusing on a series that ended last year.

2 Likes

You’re welcome to start one! :wink:

2 Likes

@orenwolf, if you though dress code was worth discussing, perhaps you should have actually tried moderating the ad hominem attacks or warning the participants before closing it down. Especially after they were called to moderator attention.

I do think it’s worth discussion (I commented myself), but as I said before, I’m not going to start editing comments themselves, and more than half the comments in that topic were users going at each other. So what do I do? Delete 50% of the topic? In situations like that there’s little alternative but to close the topic.

This, yet again, is why it’s important to flag and not engage.

3 Likes

Which I did for the post I considered most egregious, after letting the previous aggressive post go. But no action was taken nor “cool it” said, making me a little regretful I didn’t respond. I know how these threads go and was being scrupulous to not be personal and only comment on the arguments.

The progression of that thread was entirely predictable after the early mod intervention.

If you enforce civility of presentation without enforcing civility of content, all you do is create a safe space for minimally-disguised bastardry. A Klansman is still a Klansman even if he knows which fork to use.

We’ve all been to this rodeo before. Every Sarkeesian thread pops up on GG Google alerts, and they dispatch a few people to repeat the same tedious, disingenuous, slanderous sealioning bullshit. The level of thinly-disguised misogyny involved is usually more than would be tolerated in an analogous race or religion thread.

Recently, those threads have seen the early deployment of justified mass public scorn, which has on occasion disinfected the thread sufficiently to allow a productive conversation to arise. But that doesn’t happen when the gators are running free; few posters worth reading are willing to bother with a thread full of that crap.

15 Likes

Suspended @Sagoli at their request.

15 Likes

They’re welcome back anytime! 10 years is just “until requested otherwise” in Discourse-speak when someone specifically requests a suspension.

6 Likes

It just sucks, is all. Yet another awesome chick chased away… :frowning:

21 Likes

Sagoli is sugoi, come back!

2 Likes

Virtually all of her most recent posts were in the feminism/anti-feminism threads. Not hard to understand why she decided to walk away. You’re not posting as much here anymore. I’m not. etc. etc. etc.

20 Likes

Etc. Etc.

11 Likes

And so it goes, and so it goes…

10 Likes

Cleaning up the off-topic complaining about having a post deleted in the Puddles thread. Initial post was deleted to stop the user from derailing the thread before it started, subsequent off-topic whinging about unfairness also deleted.

Thanks for the update. If expressing a differing opinion and preference in entertainment styles about precisely the topic of the OP constitutes “derailing” around here, I’ll do my best to keep that in mind. At least in threads for your posts.

19 Likes

:unamused:

3 Likes

@beschizza, is this repost intentional?

I feel confused given the surrounding content, and especially that other thread (the museum one) closing down due to many flags.
Not to say I feel rickrolled.

Dealt with. thanks.

1 Like

Looks like it was just featured at the top of the homepage. In posts from the olden days, before BBS, this bumps the “last modified” date of the post and thereby generates a new discourse thread if one doesn’t already exist.

3 Likes