General Moderation Topic

Holy shit, this is some TOP-LEVEL wisdom. /S is for serious.

2 Likes

User mdavis has been banned for repeatedly throwing shade at Authors as his primary post subject, despite having been moderated for this behaviour in the past.

Criticism is one thing. Making it your mission to disparage the site or its contributors (or fellow mutants!) is not welcome here.

13 Likes

This ban is now permanent, as this user has tried multiple times to circumvent moderation to make sure they could make a point about the moderation system and our decision to disallow some of the more egregious misogynistic slang from being a part of the conversation on the BBS.

20 Likes

18 Likes

User petzl has been banned for repeatedly berating the community for disagreeing with him, while also adopting a devil’s advocate position on so many topics it is difficult to imagine there ultimately is nothing here in this users posts than edgelord shitposting. His last suspension appears to have not corrected that behaviour.

In addition UnBoingBoing has been given a timeout for the junior version of this same behaviour.

Pro tip: if you start your post with a slight against the community to begin with, you are not only failing to post in good faith, but you are also inviting a derail. Don’t do that, and please flag when someone does do that so we can prune at the root of the tree.

26 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Never hit 17 when you play against the moderator

Update!

Aside from deleting a low quality shitposting account created after this ban, poor opsec also let me realize that deltaecho was also sockpuppet of petzl. This persona has also been banned.

29 Likes

Nice detective work!

tv show monk GIF

25 Likes

Wow. This story gets more and more pathetic, starting from the hill he chose to die on. It’s now clearer why he made the strange decision to go all in defending a crybaby sore loser bro.

17 Likes

Happy Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

16 Likes

16 Likes

One of the best “two for one” deals ever.

16 Likes

15 Likes

#DarkOren /s

17 Likes

Unfortunately, this user has become another example of “multiple chances don’t always equate to doing better,” this user again decided his role was to go to war against the entire community to ensure that their virtue would reign supreme. As a result, their ban is now permanent.

16 Likes

User Skwerl has been banned. In a familiar refrain, they: 1) wanted to express disappointment with Boing Boing, 2) wanted it to happen in a derail of a BB post, 3) was flagged by the community as off-topic (and suggested to take it to a topic dedicated to these discussions), and 4) Ignored this advice (and their post removals) to continue the derail anyway.

We wish them luck in finding a place they can focus on themselves and what others should post about, rather than the topic at hand.

19 Likes

Dustin_Dopps has been given a timeout for treating disagreement with their position, or an interpretation of their position that is different than they intended as a personal attack, and then retaliating in kind.

This is the internet, and this is text, sans any other context or communication hints or clues. People are going to take what you say differently than you intended. People are going to react differently than what you expect. The point of a respectful community is the realization that this will happen, and it is an opportunity to elaborate on your point, and to be more clear - not to treat misunderstanding as a personal affront. Definitely not an opportunity to “retaliate.”

19 Likes

Thank U GIF by chuber channel

11 Likes

This ban is now permanent.

If I may scrutinize the behaviour of users like this for a moment, I really don’t “get” the mindset here. For the second time, the user posts something that multiple members of the community believe violates our community standards. Mods review it, concur and remove the post. The response in both cases is to reach out and demand to understand and argue the point, while continuing to push their original topic in PMs to moderators. After explaining the specifics, the response, in both instances, is to exclaim they have done nothing wrong, that their topic or point is critical to discourse here on the BBS, and basically ignore what the community and the mods have said about their content.

If you’re going to put all that effort into your posts, responses, and rants to the moderators, Why not make your comments on the public BBS while adhering to the guidelines in the first place? In both cases here, the advice from moderators literally was, "Look, you want to talk about this, fine, but don’t derail the existing topic to do it, make a new one, and don’t use misogyny or personal attacks to make your point. But they were unable to do that.

I get the idea that “I’m mad about something, I’m going to express it my way,” and asking someone to do otherwise is quite clearly a form of tone policing often levied by the privileged against minority populations, but this isn’t that. This is “I’m mad about something, and I can only express myself by forcing everyone to see things my way and either marginalize bad behaviour or outright insult others to do so. I will accept no other way.”

30 Likes

Please understand that the moderators of the BBS are, in fact, the final word as to how Boing Boing moderates said BBS. Emailing us individually or to our company catch-all email addresses after being removed from the BBS is going nowhere. We just thank the moderators for doing a great job.

Typically these emails are long. Very long. They are too long to read, even if they made sense which we’ve long given up bothering to try and determine because, again, the emails are too damn long.

Save yourself the trouble. We thank the moderators for doing a great job.

38 Likes