General Moderation Topic

I die on one hill and one hill alone…

well…maybe the Farscape hill too…because reasons…

1323509_original

10 Likes

As @Papasan might say, “I’m being moderated right now!” I went to make a post in A round up of Trumpian events and received a message that it was (and I guess still is) being held for moderation. Which is fine, but I don’t remember seeing it before.

Also new, and presumably unrelated: I just achieved “Regular” status, which I didn’t know was still a thing, but I thought I reached it 2 or 3 years ago (maybe I’ve been slacking); a notice when it’s another user’s first post; another notice when it’s a user’s first post in a while.

11 Likes

Congrats on making Regular status (AKA Trust Level 3). It can come and go based on your engagement.

The new notices in the Discourse software are discussed here:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/special-callout-for-first-time-posters/106481/34

For reference, the mods explained it elsewhere in this topic.

You probably had a keyword or combination that triggered it. It’s happened to me, too.

14 Likes

This.

The incidence of legitimate posts being held is small (perhaps 1-2 every day or so). They’ll get approved quickly, and catches far more inappropriate posts in return for the minor inconvenience of winning the approval lottery as a false positive that day. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve had posts held a few times for deliberately (and sarcastically) using certain inflammatory words. They would always get quickly unblocked.

8 Likes

If I’d bother to go back up the thread I might’ve seen the original explanation, which @gracchus quoted. I had just wondered if there was something else going on (e.g. with new features) which in hindsight seems unlikely. Anyway FWIW here’s the (now approved) post that was held.

4 Likes

Saint_nonevent anonymized at user request.

3 Likes

I see posts now have a “We haven’t heard from so and so in a few months” tags on posts.

We aren’t going to get a, “OH shit, not this guy again.” tag, are we?

16 Likes

33 Likes

See here.

3 Likes

Identifying necessary edits or typos is generally appreciated if the person identifying said error or typo isn’t acting like a sanctimonious bag of douche as they do it.

Typically we are SUPER HAPPY to improve upon our posts, however being told we how badly we fucked up by making what is probably a typo, and occasionally a careless mistake, will be considered “Uncool.”

Thank you for reserving your feedback.

14 Likes

User SamB2 anonymized at user request.

5 Likes

dogma-bob-bye-bye

13 Likes

Any person telling me as an adult not to curse really grinds my old man gears something fierce.

11 Likes

User M_Dub anonymized at user request.

5 Likes

again? Well I guess he may come back a 3rd time.

ETA link to the first time.

10 Likes

11 Likes

I wonder if an account be de-anonymised if a user requests it from the original e-mail address used to anonymise it. That way there would be some continuity for someone who changed his mind (as long as it wouldn’t create extra work for the mods).

ETA: if that happened, a de-anonymisation announcement here would be in order to let people know that someone is back.

6 Likes

I miss a few of my old sock puppets, too.

2 Likes

We should just block the IP and email when we anonymize. Coming and going creates work.

8 Likes