General Moderation Topic

user @suggar suspended for failing to control themselves and flailing wildly about casting accusations.

user @vonbobo suspended for intentionally injecting horseshit into a thread after being warned not to do so in the OP.

13 Likes

User rasmussen_bryan anonymized at user request.

2 Likes

User green_machine has been asked not to return after following a familiar pattern:

1 - attacking a user in a post
2 - getting flagged for it
3 - complaining that they were flagged in the post, which then gets flagged (correctly) as offtopic
4 - every subsequent post from the user is about flagging, censorship, and their disappointment in the BBS.

For some reason, this pattern never seems to arise without step 1 being true.

Usual reminders:

1 - Be cool. Don’t attack users. Follow our guidelines.
2 - posts hidden by enough flags are reviewed by mods. Some are reversed, most are not, because our users are awesome and tend to flag violating #1 above, not because they disagree with a post.
3 - if you have an issue with flagging, contact me or any Moderator. Do not derail the topic the post was flagged in.
4 - definitely, definitely don’t start whining about moderation for every subsequent post. Sulking is not an endearing quality for anyone.

Thanks.

30 Likes

Missing:

2.5 And our mods are extra awesome. (Pretty quick about things too!)

23 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: “fair and balanced” discussions

User BackToYouJim anonymized at user request.

4 Likes

In posts where the user has been quoted, the pre-anonymization user name is still shown. Any chance that can be changed/fixed?

2 Likes

That was actually changed some time ago. Quotes are anonymized as well now.

9 Likes

waetherman has been given a timeout for repeated attacking of other users, derailing topics by complaining about the community rather than staying on-topic, and most recently, outright ignoring our policy on unfounded assumptions.

We don’t specifically call this out in our guidelines (other than by asking users to be cool and not bully others), but we expect you to treat other users with respect, even when - perhaps especially when - you disagree with their comments. There are too many places online where an unpopular opinion results in attacking the poster rather than their ideas or opinions. The latter can be changed, and we don’t tolerate attacking others as a result of posts here.

Further, if you’re using one of our titles proclaiming your long tenure here, then we expect more from you, as well. We are not going to accept ignorance of our guidelines from a user that has spent half a decade with us. If you’ve been here that long then you know our policies on respect and decorum, because you weren’t eaten by a luckdragon in the meantime.

31 Likes

Just curious, can bourbon get someone a promotion in rank? Asking for a friend.

:face_with_monocle:

16 Likes

User dave791 has been asked not to return.

Suggesting bullying should be passively ignored is not welcome here. Responding to said flagging with ”SNOWFLAKES TO THE LEFT OF ME!!! SNOWFLAKES TO THE RIGHT OF ME!!!” suggests pretty strongly that this may not have been the only personality trait we would have taken issue with in the long run.

Better to just nip things in the bud now.

27 Likes

:musical_note:Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

31 Likes

30 Likes

User RioRico has been asked not to return.

This forum is heavily moderated, but all we truly ask is that members be respectful of each other, and of the moral rights of everyone, when posting. This user instead took every flag and moderator action as a personal attack, and even posted their belief to that effect with each action taken.

Finally, when given yet another opportunity to change their behaviour, the user chose to outright ignore the moderator warnings and discussion. It’s therefore obvious that this user wasn’t interested in being a part of the community, but instead, to engage in combat with it.

I will defend your right to an unpopular opinion. provided that opinion 1) respects other posters and 2) complies with our guidelines. This is not the same thing as providing cover to berate and belittle the community at large under the auspices of “following the rules”.

28 Likes

am i bad in that i think it’s almost worth it when people act up just to see @orenwolf’s write ups? (which, for some reason, i read in the voice of captain sisko from ds9)

10 Likes

I, for one, don’t think you’re bad. I’m beginning to feel the same thing.

3 Likes

User Petzl has been given a brief timeout for engaging in racism-denying whataboutism.

Pro tip: not the place to assert white privilege doesn’t exist.

22 Likes

Confirmed!

1 Like

Confirmed!

1 Like

Confirmed

1 Like