General Moderation Topic

Oh, the irony.

16 Likes

I guess mods are swift I didn’t recognize the name… then again I mostly recognize avatars

3 Likes

Love’s flip-side.

5 Likes

User p1tj3 has similarly been asked not to return as above. See: TwoGunGunnar.

Worry not, however - I hear there are entire sites out there specifically devoted to shitposting. I’m sure they will find a new home that will welcome them quickly and with little effort.

Just not here.

22 Likes

The “3 days later” ui element really helps with the narrative here, I hadn’t been in this thread a bit and the framing made me chuckle

5 Likes

User Gestalt has been asked not to return.

The parallels to another classic trolley are clear, so rather than repeat myself, I will point you to my earlier comment about a similar situation:

30 Likes

That took shockingly longer than I expected.

8 Likes

Despite Gestalt thinking they were fooling everyone, I (and I’m sure you and others) figured out they were acting in bad faith and trying to probe the community, moderation, and platform for weaknesses within five or so comments. However, we are not the moderators, who have to extend a certain amount of benefit of the doubt to new users like this (along with some rope to hang themselves).

The site is continually improving in regard to combatting tr0lls. From what I can see, the relatively new TL4 Leaders made the difference here. Keep in mind that it took years for the above-mentioned white supremacist tr0ll Max_Blancke to get perma-banned, and several months for the bigoted ethnostate fan JimJim to get banned. This AynCap chump was banned after a little over four weeks.

28 Likes

22 Likes

.🌈 Unicorn Chasers 🌈 (Part 1)

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

I gather it’s an automatic lock after x amount of flags, but given that it’s Unicorn Chasers, someone just has to be driving trollies. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

12 Likes

If the topic closed due to a large number of flags is “Unicorn Chasers”, of all things, somebody’s doing it wrong. :thinking:

12 Likes

User QuackMaximum has been asked not to return after being under the mistaken belief that we’d be ok with people namecalling our members, then deciding to go right back to it after being informed otherwise.

Our apologies for just not being that sort of place.

24 Likes

tenor

7 Likes

A few community topics have been closed or removed in the last few days.

While we’re happy to host discussions that fall within our community guidelines (including criticisms, of which you will find many meta topics), that does not include discussions that move from “discussion” or “debate” to disparaging or insulting any current or former Boing Boing Authors or contributors.

Thanks.

28 Likes

No. Thank you for all the work and crap you have to deal with to keep this place sane.

25 Likes

Y’know, the recent influx of… shall we say, problematic actors rather indicates that someone is futilely attempting to change that.

Just sayin’.

19 Likes

Thank you. Those topics were pretty toxic from the get-go.

16 Likes

You mean the ones whose “just joking” comments and expessions of “concern” in those same topics got flagged and then deleted by the moderator, sometimes locking the topics in the process? Nah, we’re a bunch of dummies who’d never catch such subtle behaviour by geniuses like that.

17 Likes

is praise ok? this is the first community i’ve never disagreed with the mods.

i’ve gotten mad in the same way someone getting a justified speeding ticket briefly feels bad, but i have never felt unfairly treated or felt a need to self censor, and i’d just like to say i appreciate that.

there are reddit communities where i get the “no censorship half”, but when we send people who are passionate about free speech to reddit… we’re not sending our best people :wink:

14 Likes

Yep, right along with all the “new” members ‘just asking questions’ about the site, how it works, its authors, the forum members, etc; all while posting off topic and generally contentless commentary.

It almost looks like someone is probing the system, testing for weakness, and intentionally trying to sow discord and distrust amongst the community we have here…

21 Likes