General Moderation Topic

That’s a deleted user I believe.

1 Like

Could you elaborate? As a user of the BBS, I’m not able to figure out what’s going on. When was the account deleted, and by whom? Am we still supposed to be able to see the profile page? If so, shouldn’t there still be a link, and shouldn’t the profile page say deleted user? And why does that page say last post 2 days ago when they’re still posting?

Yes - the user was spamming and was deleted - looks like they posted one on-topic post that was allowed to remain. (I didn’t take the mod action, but the user was new, flagged as a spammer, and their spam comments were deleted).

That’s really odd, usually all posts are deleted when you issue that command. Did someone do it in a weird way here?

I’m pretty sure that the user who is called “@null” (who is a long-time, known member here) is not the same as the garbage-can deleted user. I’m guessing that the bbs system just displays the word “null” when you are typing a reply to a deleted user. I think? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You might want to also consider the possibility of the user’s browser still having a valid session cookie after the delete.

Starting to make sense now!

2 Likes

Log says it was done via the “delete spammer” flag option, so I don’t know? It wasn’t me :slight_smile:

Odd, that seems correct. No posts should have survived that.

Two week ban for @Willis_Eschenbach, who couldn’t quite wrap his head around the idea of opposing views != angry speech.

6 Likes

Anonymized captainbuggles at their request.

1 Like

I think this anonymizing for departed users is a very nice feature of the BB forums, and I wish other boards did it. My regret w/r to japhroaig is that I will be spending a week+ in his town this summer, it would have been nice to get a drink with him, but now he is un-PMable.

7 Likes

There is a way to get in touch at that other board or by email. Look well and you shall find him!

2 Likes

I’m no longer registered there. Anyway, the problem has been solved, thanks all.

4 Likes

Why close the Trek thread rather than ban the hostile troll? I think that boat could have righted, there was some understanding progressing. It smells of letting the troll win, if disrupting the thread was the goal.

1 Like

Because, as noted, the vast majority of the topic was offtopic. You’re welcome to start a trek topic if you want, but the ontopic/offtopic intermix in the posts made it way too troublesome to unravel.

I agree it sucks, because I was looking forward to the conversation. It also underscores why it’s best to not engage trolls so we can easily remove their posts in the future.

1 Like

Who do you think was the troll in that thread, in your opinion?

1 Like

I felt Petzl was being gratuitously nasty to you, for no obvious to me reason. I just looked at his stats and don’t understand why such a longtime member would act so.

4 Likes

Okay. Thanks. I’ve butted heads with them before to no good end. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve got some like that (or did?). I’ve decided to follow the mod advice and flag liberally when I think someone is is being hostile and combative just because it gives them chuckles, even if it’s not directed at me.

3 Likes