General Moderation Topic

user anothernewbbaccount silenced for 24hrs for writing a joke so bad that just deleting it wasn’t enough.

Mute feature is nice.

8 Likes

Damn, now I want to know *how bad a joke.

But I know I would regret it afterwards.

On a serious note, Jason: blocking IPs? At least where I usually roam, IPs are mostly dynamic. Also, I hop Wifis, and use a VPN or TOR on open WiFi.

12 Likes

I do wonder about that. I can see how IP blocks could be useful in the short term, but long term BB could just wind up blocking other users of the same ISP or cell provider. BB just needs to start using browser fingerprinting! Kidding, I’m kidding. Please don’t do that.

4 Likes

We can only use the tools provided to us from on high. You should feel free to go discuss that with the discourse folk in whereever the “software changes you’d like to see in discourse” thread is.

This thread is not for discussion of the software. This thread is for helping administer the currently installed instance of that software used to host comments on posts on the Boing Boing blog.

6 Likes

Woah. I had no idea Idris Elba created the BBS tool set.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Capital letters the second time.

10 Likes

Nice catch, ChGOliZ.

:wink:

10 Likes

User space monkey suspended for seven days for divining an editors unwritten glee from a toneless post.

4 Likes

JHFC start reading the thread you are posting in before writing a god damn screed that restates the conversation already held several times before you got there.

11 Likes

TooGoodToCheck_ suspended at user’s request.

4 Likes

My bad. Sorry.

11 Likes

For the avoidance of doubt:

Vaccines work. While we encourage debate on things like how better to develop, deploy, or research vaccines, posts suggesting vaccines are not beneficial, or other ”anti-vaxx” stances will result in posts, and users, being eaten with extreme prejudice.

The BBS will not be part of the problem spreading FUD on these critical tools.

Thanks.

54 Likes

But seriously, thanks for posting this and taking a strong stance against willful and dangerous ignorance.

23 Likes

sounds like @orenwolf is vaccinated against… bullshit

14 Likes

Several people attempting to defend White Nationalism have been removed. I’m not going to bother to list them all because frankly, I’ve wasted enough time on the cleanup.

Risking Godwin’s law I will make it clear - if your posts start by suggesting there’s a sentence that begins with “If all Hitler wanted was X, it would have been ok”, that can be taken out of context in such a way as to distort the meaning, you can just save yourselves, and us, the trouble and post those thoughts somewhere other than here.

There are valid discussions to be had around the current state of nations and how they practice their versions of nationalism or racial exclusion or what have you, because it is clearly an important, present topic and understanding why they exist is, IMHO, important - and this requires discussion. But that privilege ends somewhere long before trying to defend any portion of any genocidal regime’s policies. Full stop.

50 Likes

User longbelly was asked not to return after submitting a post with no content except to:

• complaining about the free ice cream and the Authors, and
  • complaining about the reading comprehension of BBS community members .

A rare double whammy!

17 Likes

JimJim has been asked not to return.

As I stated above, discussions about how the world treats populations are incredibly important, especially in light of the various refugee crises going on around the world right now and the roles government policy plays in ethnostates, perceived ethnostates, and nationalism in general.

That doesn’t mean this is the place to talk about how much better off we’d be if everyone would stay in their respective corners of the planet, or that actions to try and create equality create an unfair advantage to those same populations. No one here wants to hear that crap. Ship’s sailed. Cultural diversity enriches the world. How we do that while preserving the best of what we have? Now that’s the next discussion I’m looking forward to.

Those who would prefer to instead discuss how we can go backwards? Keep looking for somewhere else to roost.

38 Likes

New user Susan_Crosby suspended forever for declaring a positive book review “an a abomination” just because she wanted more spoilers to be shared.

7 Likes

Just wanted to say ‘thanks.’ An issue came up last week and the system worked the way it is supposed to. I resisted the urge to give back the snark that I was given, and flagged it instead and it was dealt with. It usually doesn’t go that way for me. So, thanks again.

19 Likes