Gentleman sells his house but won't move out, while new owners have been paying mortgage for 14 months

With 4 felonies under his belt Mr. Boktor is indeed a gentlemen of the legal system.
FELONY FLS WRKRS COMP INS RATES
FELONY FT COLLECT TAXES
FELONY EVADE TAXES
FELONY FAIL TO COLLECT TAXES

15 Likes

21 different states local. I only know this because I have to move house soon and need to find someone that charges reasonable rates and won’t break, steal or impound my stuff while demanding an upcharge.

Also, we are renting back the place we bought to the people we bought it from for a couple of months. I hope they leave when the time comes!

3 Likes

Many people lack the financial resources to move into a new home before selling the old one.

18 Likes

they should start with a lawyer, and stop guessing what their rights are

3 Likes

Let’s see what kind of playlist we could make up to help drive the pest out. Let’s start with “Baby Shark”, “Let it Go” from Frozen, and if it gets really bad the jingle from the “Kars 4 Kids” kcommercial on indefinite repeat.

“Anonymous” tip to the sheriff’s department that someone was in possession of meth in that barn, with a statement that if the sheriff spoke to the owners of the property he or she would likely receive permission to search the premises?

7 Likes

The term “tenant” is very broad and in many places, apparently in CA, applies to someone who merely occupies the property. This gives them the same rights as any rent-paying tenant. Doing something like turning off the utilities could be a criminal offense against the buyers.

The buyers can sue for all kinds of damages, and will likely win, but that takes years. The seller could be judgement proof (i.e., broke) making that an exercise in futility.

Until then, the seller is able live rent free until the day eventually come when the sheriff finally shows up with an eviction notice. And then there’s the waiting period (not sure about CA, maybe 30-45 days) before the eviction can be carried out–and then… there could be a few extra months tacked-on if the seller files motions to stay eviction. And that’s outside of any moratoriums that may be in place due to Covid.

9 Likes

I am amazed at the patience of the home buyers. I am pretty sure that either the squatter or myself would be in jail after about a week of this nonsense.

4 Likes

Agreed. In all that time, he’s never left the property to get food?

5 Likes
2 Likes

Wolf Eyes

Freedom Dive

1 Like

We used them about 7 years ago and obviously every operator is different, but we did not have a good experience. For a local move I would find a company more “local”, but obviously YMMV.

1 Like

“Local moving company” as in they specialize in local moves.

3 Likes

See if they can turn off the power and water, that might help? Or hire the right people.

Not sure how the bank or title company could help with this. If there was no blemish on the title prior to closing there would be no problem. If they used a realtor it was definitely on the realtor to advise them not to close when you weren’t able to take possession, or to have a rentback contract in place. If they did for sale by owner then there isn’t really anyone in a position to tell them. If they had told the escrow company the same day that they hadn’t actually been given possession the escrow company could have stopped the transaction but they would have no way of knowing that unless you tell them.

If they had a three month rentback contract in place prior to covid eviction laws then there was probably not really anything they could have done but at least they would have a rental contract in place.

3 Likes

In VA when I sold my first home after the contract was “finalized” but not signed (i.e. after the offers, counter offers, inspection, inspection remediation, oh and loan qualification) our buyers moved some stuff in. Like blankets and clothes, not really enough stuff that one would even think they had moved in or were living there.

My real estate agent went nuts. Called the other RE, unloaded both barrels.

All that stuff was gone by the end of the day, and stayed gone until after final walk through (which was the morning of the signing, so while in theory things could have happened between walk through and signing, I wouldn’t have known about it).

At the time I thought she was overreacting, but I want with it. I mean what did I know, I had done two purchases and zero sales at the time so I figured she knew something I didn’t.

Turns out I was wrong about the overreacting and right about her knowing something I didn’t. I’m glad I didn’t stop her, even if the new buyers might have just been making an innocent mistake.

11 Likes

Family dynamics are complicated. The father eventually called the sheriff to get him removed but was also obsessed about not ruining his son’s future. At this point the son was 40 with more than 15 years of daily meth use. Soooo that ship had sailed. But I think bringing up the meth might have led to details about manufacturing that might have been blown up in everyone’s face. I’m not sure that it was manufactured in the barn but I strongly suspect it was. The sheriff had to know immediately what was up when he saw the skinny twitchy dude that refused to leave a barn. :man_shrugging:

So a month and a half to two months later he finally left on his own. I’m so glad I wasn’t involved in that shit show. I would burst a vein.

7 Likes

I put my California condo at the same time as my next door neighbor with an identical unit put theirs on the market.

I was furious with my agent when they got an offer much earlier than I did. But it turned out the offer was bogus. The new owners had a rent back agreement, which allowed them to squat for months rent free. In the end I sold my unit way before the squatters were kicked out.

There is something about the eviction laws that appeals to my obsessiveness around crossing ts and dotting is.

5 Likes

Boktor probably is paying utilities, phone, etc.

They’d run into the same problem as when they attempted entry onto premises.

This isn’t the bank’s fault. The owners closed on the property with the full knowledge someone else was still in residence.

2017 wasn’t a good year for Hossam.

3 Likes

Yep. And sometimes people abuse the hell out of that:

7 Likes