Los Angeles apartment owner battles fraudulent tenant in latest rental story nightmare

Originally published at: Landlord Wins Against Fraudulent Tenant in Rental Scandal

3 Likes

According to Sinai Law Firm, which posted this story on Xitter,

Posted on Xitter? Oh well, shame I can’t read it then. Thanks for the synopsis, though.

8 Likes

MV5BMGRkMGZhZmMtYmM3YS00NTUxLWE3ZmUtMWEyNTk0MTk1NDAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3NDc5MzY@.V1

8 Likes

This is a cherry-picked story whose only intent could be to advocate for the loosening of restrictions on evictions.

Tenant law needs to move further away from favoring landlords IMHO.

15 Likes

You can. You can even read it without reading it on Twitter.

3 Likes

Yeah, if LA can only produce one story every 6 months where the landlord comes across as the sympathetic character, that itself is the real story. Because thousands of people get evicted in LA every year. I gather there may even be some homeless people.

10 Likes

There are no stories about people being mistreated by landlords because no tenant has ever, ever, in the whole USA, been at the short end of the ladlord-tenant relationship. /s

7 Likes

Nervous Rivers Cuomo GIF by Fall Out Boy

1 Like

:violin:
This is a tiny violin playing for the poor landlords.

3 Likes

landlords

3 Likes

Shitty, abusive tenants are very real. They are less common than shitty, abusive landlords, but they do exist, and for small-scale landlords can be a massive source of trouble.

8 Likes

Yep, vexatious litigants are a thing. Honestly their existence and persistence kinda poisons the well to an extent for people who legitimately need relief from the courts. Or at least soaks up time attention and resources that would be better spent on other cases!

1 Like

Yeah, a couple local friends rent out a couple places and they have some horror stories.
What I find odd about this story is that the landlady couldn’t have the “tenant” removed for trespassing. It sounds like there was no contract between the two women, so it’s odd that she had a legal right to be there according to the cops.
I wonder what color her skin is…(narrator: she didn’t wonder).

7 Likes

The police are reluctant to get involved if there is conflicting paperwork. Even if it is as dumb as a paid bill for fixing a window at that address in the trespasser’s name to prove occupancy. (Guess how the window was broken.)

1 Like

Looks to me like LA County law requires at least a 30-day notice if the tenant has lived there any significant length of time (but less than a year). Even if the circumstances of the woman living in the room to begin with were dubious.

2 Likes

I respect her right to housing more than some corporate landlord’s right to to collect rents, and so I hope others learn from the example.

1 Like

But this wasn’t a corporate landlord. Unless you think all landlords are corporations.

4 Likes

I think the problem is that most landlords are small-time non-corporate ones, but most tenants have corporate landlords.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s true anymore. It’s been disheartening seeing these corps buy up all the housing. :frowning:

1 Like

I think shitty tenants are just as common ad shittyy landlords…
However the potential for one to inflict harm on the other is substantially greater… So it makes sense for regulations/law to offer some protections that favor tenants in general. We’re talking about people’s homes.

(Fyi I’m a landlord)

5 Likes