Gentleman sells his house but won't move out, while new owners have been paying mortgage for 14 months

What about this suggests that he would pay the rent?

1 Like

This is apparently a thing that certain people do in areas with strong tenant protections. I lived in a duplex for several years and the other half had a steady parade of interesting but reasonable-seeming characters move in and out. Years later I spoke to the landlord who owned both halves and it turns out none of them on that side ever paid rent. It takes several months to get someone evicted here, so there are people who just move place to place and never pay. They have to find landlords who are lazy and don’t do background/credit checks, but apparently those are plentiful enough. The landlord of that duplex was definitely incompetent and lazy, so it didn’t surprise me. She was also a giant asshole so there were no good guys in this whole situation.

4 Likes

Oh, I kinda assumed they were just local. Their trucks look super generic and low quality graphics, etc.

1 Like

Me, too. I never new until today and am surprised. But I shouldn’t be, with companies like “Starving Students” movers that are no such thing. :-/

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. We are in heightened ‘buyer beware’ mode, since the business seems rife with shadiness.

Skunks. A family of skunks would be good.

2 Likes

Got some skunks burrowing in the backyard, free to good home. Or any home. Win win!

Here I Italy there is a scam that has been going on for years. Mostly happens in social housing.
If you happen to be renting one of these govermnent flats (they give discounts based on your situation) you have to be really careful never to leave your flat empty for longer than a day or two. If you go on holiday, you have to make sure someone stays round for the duration.
What happens is that there is a sort of “squatting” loophole in the tenency law. If you manage to get into one of these flats while the tenants are away, you can take as your own.
I’ve heard of people coming back from holiday to find a whole family living in their flat. They broke down their door, put a new one and that was it.
It does get clever, as most times the “new” introduced tenants are always pregnant women, so that means you cannot even start precedings until after they had their baby.
Cases move very slowly as these are all government houses, and a lot of these people can’t afford a lawyer.

4 Likes

At this point the buyers must be thinking of arson.

I wouldn’t be able to pay a mortgage and rent at the same time. If the sellers squatted, I’d go broke trying to pay both my mortgage and my rent while I tried to get the seller to leave. I’d end up squatting somewhere–paying my mortgage and stiffing the rent on the place I was living in. Not many good options here.

4 Likes

I’m a little rusty on this, but an easement is implied if there is no other access. There was a case 20+ years back where the Federal government, who owned all the land surrounding a private parcel in northern Arkansas condemned someone’s easement. Even though a previous owner had tried to sell their easement across federal land back to the federal government, the court found that implied easements are created after a parcel becomes landlocked, not before, so if you sell your easement, the fact that access to the parcel is extinguished, the implied easement comes back into existence immediately.

Patterson v. Buffalo National River

1 Like

Was going to post that link. It is nuts.

1 Like

We had a problem with a sabbatical rental. Not as extreme as that one, but enough similar that this article is a little triggering. The thing is, with such a rental you are basically giving your house, complete with all or most of its stuff in place, to a stranger, and hoping that their status as a faculty member will somehow prevent all the things that can obviously go wrong with this. On reflection, it makes no sense, the professoriate is no more (and possibly less) likely to respect the property of others as anyone else. It isn’t something we are ever going to do again.

This is pretty meaningless to the conversation as far as I know. A recorded easement is a recorded easement. You can not sell an easement, you can sell a property that is subject to the easement or benefits from the easement, neither changes the easement.

An implied easement requires you to show prior use for a period of time. To remove an implied easement you need to not only restrict access for a number of years but prove it was not used for the easement’s purpose during that time.

3 Likes

Also under CA law, squatters rights can kick in if they can hold out for five years.

You are running with longer time horizons then many people. I have seen a lot of people decide not to pay rent because they can’t get evicted. Not because they can’t pay, but because they get to stay where they are. All the ones I have talked to seem to think it will sort itself out “later”. Like magically in six months something will happen and they will never need to pay the back rent, or they will get some sort of payment plan they can live with. Not “well when the eviction-suspension thing is finally over sure I’ll need to find a new place to stay really fast and with an eviction on my record I’ll have a hard time doing that, but it will be worth it!”. Just “it’ll work out”, like six months in the future them’s problems are just not their problems.

On the other hand they may be entirely right. Maybe they can just work something out. Maybe once evictions start getting processed again they will be able to trade a “ok, huge backlog at the courthouse, I’ll agree to leave by the end of the month if you agree not to record an evection”, and that would generally put them way ahead in terms of dollars. In theory they might even get a landlord to agree to let them just start paying current rent because that is easier then an eviction and finding a new tenant, and propblably a lot of the new tenants pulled the same trick, so maybe better the devil you know? But imagining myself as a landlord I can’t see making that deal. I would be too pissed off at those folks to take any deal like that.

…but from talking to people that isn’t the thinking. The thinking is merely “this is working sooooooo great right now”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.