Gentleman's first electric skateboard ride earns him a $600 ticket

Does handsome bisexual scarecrow fit in here anywhere of that spectrum ? Otherwise I’m just hanging out here for nothing.

2 Likes

But the actual answer to that is: “Don’t operate this device in public. You can only operate it on private land.” That’s the part that’s not confusing. The law is saying “this device is not, cannot, be street legal.” It’s true of any number of vehicles and vehicle accessories. Granted, presenting that information as a catch-22 is far from helpful, but the underlying problem is assuming that if you can buy something over the internet, you can use it for what would seem to be the obvious purpose where you live. This isn’t true for a great number of things, but especially with vehicles, where local laws can vary quite a bit. I mean, the laws concerning non-motorized skateboards vary from city to city and even within a city.

1 Like

Sorry for missing this. Pretty sure our regulations are mostly based around engine size/capacity, which would hopefully avoid that (even if it means that there’s an odd dividing line in mobility scooters, from memory) - but your point is well made.

1 Like

Good luck with that. The psychology of traffic is that we tend to identify with others using our mode of transportation, and objectify those who aren’t. Pedestrians are just obstacles if you’re on wheeled transport.

As for pedestrian density, I agree there is a large disparity between urban and suburban locales, but I see a lot more room for bike lines in the 'burbs as well. Even though I see folks trucking along on their bikes on sidewalks right next to a bike lane all the time where I live.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.