Quiz: Are these writers complaining about 21st-century e-scooters, or 19th-century velocipedes?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/11/quiz-are-these-writers-compla.html

7 Likes

6 Likes

Sure, they’re similar until you examine how bird lime and scoot or whatever are all reliant on funding from destructive wall street monopoly money, that the essentially landfill-bound product is manufactured by slave-wage labor in the third world, and that the entire model relies on gig-economy exploitation in the form of retrieving and charging the items…etc etc

10 Likes

You don’t have to go 15 mph when you use a scooter. They do go slower. I used one the other day, and I rode it at approximately 3 mph – walking speed.

I’m sorry to say that I did get angry glares, though. From other scooter riders trying to get past me.

2 Likes

Sad when the giveaway is that the old time writers referred to the riders as gentlemen. Our current age is not as civil.

5 Likes

Really the complaint isn’t about technology, it’s about people who use technology rudely.

7 Likes

Plus, the damned things just show up. We had a pile of them magically appear in Ann Arbor on Friday last. Turns out there’s no legal place for this contraption to operate in the state of Michigan. They have motors, so you can’t ride them on the sidewalk or in bike lanes, but they don’t have the reflectors/lights/license plate necessary to operate as a “motor vehicle” on the roadway.

12 Likes

Nobody calls hipsters “gentlemen” except for the guys cosplaying in steampunk outfits.

1 Like

I scored 4/10. I’d like to say it was wholly because I was not taking it seriously. But the only ones I got right were the ones with old timey language.

1 Like

I’m sorry jandrese, this was intended as a general comment.

2 Likes

ANYONE living in Florida is eligible for “gentleman” status on a moments notice.
Although, perhaps a gender neutralized language adjustment is in order.
How about “gentle-person?”

1 Like

Obligatory (link to Hark a Vagrant comic)

11 Likes

and
https://www.google.com/search?q=boingboing+gentleman&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
Feel better now?

7 Likes

“Gentle-being” has always sounded nice to me.

4 Likes

Just for the record, e-velocipedes exist now. I saw one in a shop window here in Tijuana. Normal-sized front wheel, a caster-sized rear wheel, and a battery pack.

3 Likes

I have a strong feeling that twenty years or so when augmented reality glasses are more practical and less dorky that nobody will understand why people using the first version were derided as “Glassholes”.

1 Like

I’m not sure I see the point there unless you have physical mobility issues.

Was it a Yike Bike? http://www.leftfieldbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/yikebike_v_poster.jpg

So here I go clicking this link, thinking it’s probably some bullshit BuzzFeed quiz, but no, it’s the Washington Post (I read the post quickly, don’t blame me), and now I’ve just wasted a portion of my free article allotment. Oh well, I got 7/10.

Omg! Lol where is your sense of whimsy!? They may be less than popular but if i was in the parking lot at work or something and someone had one id put around a few laps!