Scooter injuries plague the helmet-less

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/27/scooter-injuries-plague-the-he.html

4 Likes

Small ticket for the helmet less. Immediately impound the scooter with a large recovery fee. Same impound plan for inappropriately parked scooters. This will force the scooter companies to actually do something real fast or go out of business due to loss of product and customers.

23 Likes

What were the injuries? Were they head injuries?

5 Likes

Currently in San Diego and my biggest fear is getting hit by one since you can’t hear them coming. And I’m pretty confident many of the people riding them at night are drunk.

It’s also a pain to navigate around the parked ones when strolling a crowded sidewalk.

I hate them.

11 Likes

Do they really have to do a Hurt Report for scooters to show that helmets are a good idea?

10 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

16 Likes

13 Likes

Surf Scoters, Oyster Catchers and Coots should all get off my lawn!

5 Likes

Probably yes. At least a lot of bicyclists seem bizarrely hostile to the idea that wearing a helmet might be a good thing.

8 Likes

The societal-level cost/benefit of helmets on pushbikes is open to debate.

5 Likes

At uni, many of us used backpacks, but with only one strap slung over a shoulder. Why? Because using both looked dorky and uncool. But that eventually changed. However imprudent, the donning of helmets looks (apparently to most) uncool. Laws or no laws, universally going with helmets – as with how backpacks are now used – will require a cultural change, perhaps bracketed by generational gaps.

1 Like

Some (many) motorcyclists still rage on and one.

3 Likes

Really? I understand what you are saying about helmets, image and dorkiness/coolness, but this analogy breaks pretty quickly in reality.

2 Likes

I graduated uni back in december of 2017 and a lot of people (myself included,) still did one strap.

I had a friend in SF who taught his kids to say ‘organ donor!’ every time a helmet-less motorcycle would blast by the family van. Another cute thing he taught his kids was Ridiculomobile! for goofy jacked up pickup trucks.

They should make organ donation mandatory when you breeze past the Bird or Lime ToS. AND it should get updated automagically at the DMV. Two birds with one stone (or maybe a frozen lime).

5 Likes

Here in Austin I see a conspicuous lack of helmets more on bicyclists than motorcyclists, but riding either without a helmet is dumb as shit. Shaking my damn-well protected head.

7 Likes

It isn’t necessarily.

4 Likes

From your link:

“The question of whether cyclists should wear helmets provokes fury – often from those on four wheels. But which has the bigger benefit: increased physical safety, or creating a better environment for people to cycle helmet-free?”

Sorry, but that’s a false dichotomy. If you ride regularly, eventually you’re going to go over your handlebars. Russian roulette is a game of fools.

19 Likes

I went for a trial bomb on a Lime last week. It was LOADS of fun. The area we’re in is pretty open with wiiide footpaths, and mid-day mid-week there weren’t many folks around either on the streets (urban area) or in the park.

I had a cynical laff at the arse-covering disclaimer though (paraphrasing):

etcetera. Oddly enough, they put a LOT of effort in to making sure I could pay and pay and pay, including repeatedly resetting the ‘auto top up’ “feature” after I had explicitly tuned it off.

15 Likes

This is not a comparison, it is an article about risks related to scooters, one of which is unsafe automobile drivers. Also, fact-based, science-derived research and “scaremongering” are kinda distant.

7 Likes