Scooter injuries plague the helmet-less

Whataboutery%2C%20Whataboutism

16 Likes

And Atlas Scooted

I bet that they would charge the last user for the impound. It’s just a guess. I would also bet that they will fight helmet laws in other states while simultaneously requesting that users to use them, but not requiring them to do so, as that could reduce ridership.

I am looking forward to seeing them at the police auctions, because then they become an affordable project for the kids and I. Specifically I will be looking for a Bird scooter to pick up and repair. I wasn’t interested at all until they issued a legal threat and then issued what I read as a sad non-apology.

4 Likes

Put the liability for any physical damage or medical bills on the rental agency if they do not provide “adequate safety gear” and watch the rental agencies implode.

7 Likes

Include liability for damage or medical bills of people struck by riders on their scooters and they’ll implode faster.

10 Likes

According to the actual study, 40% had head injuries, 32% fractures, 28% contusions, sprains, and lacerations.

Of the small proportion actually wearing helmets, 50% had head injuries.

5 Likes

The bike rental system here in Melbourne initially didn’t provide helmets, even though they are required by law. As an afterthought, helmets are now sold in vending machines near the rental stands. The embarrassing thing is that the helmets are only about five dollars. You can pay $500 for essentially the same thing in a shop.

@JonS

I have 50000km cycle commuting experience since 2006, and 30 years of less well documented cycling before that, mostly on the road. My advice is to wear a helmet.

If you can claim better knowledge of the subject than me, I would be interested in a more nuanced opinion.

3 Likes

Everyone should wear helmets all the time.

10 Likes

While I am totally addicted to moving about on two wheels I am very aware how risky that is and to all I can to reduce the risk to me. So while I may skip the extra layer of pants if I am only on city streets I always have boots, jacket and full face helmet at the very least.

8 Likes

3 Likes

I lived and observed the reality re early use of school backpacks, and what I observe now is more universal use of both straps now. Both are realities. Perhaps your observation differs from where you grew up (regional differences re use of backpacks)? PS: Only a contrarian would discount regional differences.

Interesting thank you for that info. Assuming then that helmet- wearers also had fractures, contusions, sprains, and lacerations, then non-helmet wearers came out better off, in terms of head-injuries?

I appreciate the info, but it sounds like you didn’t live the scene in the 80s and 90s.

Bird does offer free helmets to riders. Just cover the cost of shipping. You can request your helmet in the Safety section in the Bird app.
… I personally don’t see anybody out in Santa Monica wearing helmets when riding scooters, but Bird at least is offering to send people helmets.

4 Likes

And in other news: sky blue, water wet.

2 Likes

See, for example,:

and
https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/read-the-journal/all-issues/2010-2019/2012/vol-125-no-1349/article-clarke

Should you wear a helmet? Sure. Should everyone be forced to wear a helmet … eh, probably not.

The e-scooters are a bit different though, since you’d be hard-pushed to demonstrate that their use leads to a rise in exercise.

11 Likes

Evidence that helmets or no, people are still gonna people…

I agree with this entirely. Riding without a helmet is reckless stupidity of the highest order, but fining people for it is useless and just gives LE another excuse to screw over riders. Now holding the scooter companies liable I’m all for.

2 Likes

I’ll get on board with holding the scooter companies liable when we hold auto manufacturers are held accountable for the demonstrably unsafe cars and trucks they sell:

1. Technology that could have improved safety and environmental outcomes has instead been used to increase size, power and speed. At the same time, better insulated cabins and high driving positions in pick-ups reduce the sensation of that speed, leading to higher operating speeds

2. Technology to restrict speed in trivial, yet they commonly sell vehicles capable of exceeding every possible speed limit by over 100%

3. They advertise vehicles by using race-track style driving and settings, clearly endorsing driving the vehicles unsafely. Some vehicles are even styled after race cars

4. They promote pick-ups and trucks as personal vehicles. These are known to represent a significantly increased danger to pedestrians

5. They install increasingly complex distraction-causing “infotainment systems” in the vehicles

A successful lawsuit against the manufacturers and/or suppliers of vehicles that they KNOW will be operated unsafely and cause significant injury and death (as well as appalling environmental outcomes) will kill the automobile industry. Good riddance.

5 Likes

I LOVE that song!
'Edbutts!!

1 Like

The University of Texas at Austin recently sent out a notice that all improperly parked scooters will be impounded, with a $150 fine, and warned that scooter companies may pass this along to the last user.

6 Likes