Gentlemen arrested for buying a $140,000 Porsche and several Rolex watches with fake checks he printed with home computer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/03/gentlemen-arrested-for-buying.html

3 Likes

its like Catch Me If You Can, only if Abagnale was a dipshit

37 Likes

To top it off, it looks like it’s parked in a handicapped spot. I don’t see a hang tag and he looks spry enough.
He must have been out of blue paper at home.

21 Likes

That is just wasteful. He should have bought something more cool with his Monopoly money like…

7 Likes

What was this guy’s long-term plan? I mean, he had to know his plan was blown as soon as the jeweler held onto the watches.

For the car, this was just the equivalent of hotwiring a car to get it out of the parking lot - but with evidence against you!

Was he going to fence the watches and the cars that day ‘uncut jems’ style and try to disappear?

17 Likes

Florida Man goes shopping.

17 Likes

More of a Randy Quaid Abagnale than a DiCaprio one.

6 Likes

I think it is fair to say he isn’t exactly the best and brightest.

8 Likes

All I can say is that he deserves the highest punishment, mainly for:

• buying a car he’ll never be able to drive above 2nd gear legally without getting a speeding ticket
    -choosing it in … white (really, WHITE???)
8 Likes

Not all disabilities are highly visible, but I’m with you on the rest of it.

4 Likes

I’m amazed they’ll give you a car before the check clears.

19 Likes

How does this even work? Forgive me, I haven’t written a check in… oh… 12 years, but when I see the quaint reenactment at the grocery store, they scan the check, I assume validating it in some way.

And I mean your friendly neighboorhood Kroger’s, btw, not a place that sells $100K cars. Is there some pocket of lost time where people still take paper checks just on trust?

7 Likes

The cashier’s check is supposedly a higher level of trust … the money comes from an issuing bank, not some regular person, so it’s assumed that it will clear.

9 Likes

The jeweler was using common sense to hold on to the Rolexes until it cashed. Anyone who has been on Craigs List in the past 10+ years knows that certified checks are more likely to be a scam than anything else. As for the car dealer, really, he let a car go out without confirming the payment with a bank?

11 Likes

Sounds like these were certified checks, which are widely used still for certain kinds of payments, including cars, but not usually Rolexes.

7 Likes

I heard two car thieves trade stories about how they were caught. One guy test drove the latest bright-yellow Camaro and liked it so much he decided not to return it. He thought hiding it in a garage for three weeks was enough time for the dealer to forget about it. Never mind that they had a photocopy of his driver’s license and that car would be instantly recognizable in the small town…

9 Likes

6 Likes

Florida Man and a Gentleman!

3 Likes

dicaprio romanticized the role. Abagnale is/was a dipshit. Not because he anarchically spent money that wasn’t his, but because he got caught and went to work for the feds. If you’re going to use fake money to buy real things, use this new fangled cryptocurrency nobody cares to learn about but believes is a thing. Hey I’ll give you a bunch of bitcoin for that porche bro!

1 Like

Florida Man arrested for buying a $140,000 Porsche and several Rolex watches with fake checks he printed with home computer

There – fixed that for you

3 Likes