GeoGuessr: Street View location guessing game

I love this game! I just started playing this afternoon and I can’t stop. I wish there were more countries represented though. Perhaps with time, more places will be “street viewed.”

Like others, xkcd sucked me into the game. I definitely fall into the researcher type group even though it somehow feels like cheating, I like learning, and given how few clues there are sometimes, it’s fun figuring out what the most effective way of figuring out where you are is. Is it the license plates, the botany, road signs, shadows, geology… Even the colour of the dirt can narrow it down.

Definitely an addictive game

There seem to be a number of places in street view which are just 360-degree panoramas with no way to leave.

There was one odd-looking hotel and soccer field with a bunch of temporary buildings around it that had no people, signage, or roads visible and only a gravel parking lot. I realized I had seen the same crap pseudo-Western style in Korea and started noticing that the rocks look like the ones around my father-in-law’s place, and the 2-3 cars in the distance looked Korean. I couldn’t narrow it down much, but picked the central mountains and got within 68 km. It was South of Jeonju a bit.

I don’t have a problem with people playing a different way. Bragging about higher scores when you play a different way is annoying. It’s like bringing a smart phone to Jeopardy, finding all the right answers, and calling yourself smarter than the other contestants. I prefer to play without assistance, because I feel like I learn more that way and I like feeling like Sherlock Holmes. But I don’t feel like I play competitively. It’s just fun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.