Germany says nein danke to Microsoft

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/17/germany-says-nein-danke-to-mic.html

3 Likes

This confuses me. I’m guessing the first word should be “Germany”… Or maybe “Munich.” Either way, good for them. And if Microsoft is trying to give Microsoft the boot, then it’s even better.

12 Likes

Sadly, the switch to Linux in Munich has since been reverted.

6 Likes

It would have been a really corny pun (“boot” means boat in German …) already but even then the author managed to screw the opening line up:

" Microsoft has a history of attempting to give Microsoft das boot". I guess better then giving themselves a wedgie?

1 Like

Even better THAN that! :wink:

2 Likes

It also would have to be „der boot“, since Stiefel is male, or rather „den boot“ as it is used in accusative case. As it is, it’s pretty much unintelligible.

3 Likes

It is sadly only in the state of Hessen, not all of Germany. But it applies not just to Microsoft, but to other cloud services as well, such as Google Docs and iCloud: https://www.googlewatchblog.de/2019/07/datenschutzbedenken-hessen-google-docs/

2 Likes

Hopefully, someone with better artistic skills than me can shoop up a “Überwachung? Nein danke!” Image in the style of those old anti-nuclear campaign stickers

3 Likes

And is pronounced like boat

For starters, “give someone [something]” meaning “dismiss someone” is not a construct used in German at all. It only makes sense if your main language is bad English with a smattering of bad German. Fortunately that’s me. Just try not to think about it too hard :wink:

6 Likes

Maybe this will do?

And I’m sure the guys’n’gals over at Digitalcourage are open to suggestions.

3 Likes

We also collected a few links in this thread:

1 Like

Sad to disappoint, but the Linux part was cancelled in '17 and is currently being rolled back to Windows.
In a completely unrelated development, Microsoft moved their German HQ to Munich…

3 Likes

Office 365 verboten in Hessen schools: German state bans cloudy Microsoft suite on privacy grounds

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s a little disappointing to me. It takes a bit of the zing out of SCTV’s campy version of Das Boot, titled Das Boobs.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I use both MS and Linux. Here’s the difference:

-MS solely because my workplace (and therefore, yours truly) is contractually obligated to do so.

-Linux because…well, can’t even begin to enumerate the reasons, but none of them have to do with contracts!

2 Likes

I think, regarding this post, Seamus Bellamy Scheiße aufs Bett.

Er hat aufs Bett geschissen.

FTFY

1 Like

Unintelligible like Windows, you mean?

Poor Bill. He just can’t catch a break.