Get the best pour out of any wine bottle with this electric aerator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/25/get-the-best-pour-out-of-any-w.html

a jolt of oxygen does wonders for the flavor of a wine

That’s why I always mix my merlot with a jigger of OxiClean.

13 Likes

Dr Mark Miodownik, a materials scientist, showed a well known chef on a British TV show that you can aerate a nice wine very quickly by whizzing it in a blender for 45 seconds. The chef was horrified, although he said that the post-blender wine tasted like it had been allowed to breathe properly for an hour and was not damaged by it’s time in the blender. He also said he still would never put wine in a blender, even though he knew that was an emotional response, not a rational response.

So, if you have a blender, you don’t need this machine.

Science!

Here’s a video about liquids other than wine by Dr. Miodownik, he’s really interesting.

8 Likes

Won’t that tear the bag?

15 Likes

DKIGuLyVYAAaySG

3 Likes

7 Likes

giphy (2)

4 Likes

I would always be wary of anything Donald Pleasance might serve me. :worried:

5 Likes

Would that include Chips?

1 Like

I don’t have time to find and link to the excerpt (it’s on iPlayer anyway) but the Christmas edition of QI had this very topic.

Here’s the transcript:

The panellists are given glasses of wine and are asked how far in advance you should open the wine for your Christmas dinner to make sure it is properly aerated. The answer is not to decant it at all, or indeed aerate it at all. If you insist on aerating it, it is best to put the wine in a blender, or pour out a bit of the wine, put the cork back in and give the bottle a good shake. Many experts think aerating good wine makes it worse. Emile Peynaud, forefather of oenology, said it should be avoided at all costs.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Around the 22 minute mark.
3 Likes

Do you think you could drown in a glass of wine?

3 Likes

Finally, someone has discovered a way to get the wine out of the bottle.
#FirstWorldProblems

I have a couple of aerators, but I use an IKEA milk frother ($3, if I recall correctly). It’s never been used in milk, and I rinse it thoroughly between uses (it’s stainless steel anyway). My better half objects to the pink foam - it looks horribly undignified - but if I give the foam a moment to settle before carrying her glass over to her, even she can’t complain about the result.

As for the question of whether to aerate or not - try it both ways. In the most basic example, compare the flavor straight out of the bottle with the flavor after swirling it in the glass for a few seconds. Over time, oxygen is the deadly enemy of wine - but in the very short term (i.e. the length of time it takes to drink a glass), aeration brings out flavors you would miss otherwise.

I suspect it’s similar to the effect of a drop or two of water in a glass of Scotch. It occurs to me that it might be less a matter of air in the wine than wine in the air - since most tasting is actually done by the nose, perhaps the real point of aeration is to generate a slight mist of aromatics above the surface of the wine?

1 Like

2a808e91d2e4f930b47c37b76c321cb4691267ad (1)

7 Likes

Thumbnail looks like a gerbil

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.