"Giant chainmail box" used to dry out house slowly dissolving in Scottish rain

So, the Hill House has an armor class of 5.

13 Likes

But in the US we allow the demolition of Marcel Breuer’s Geller I house without much noise.

2 Likes

Guess they don’t have “dryer sheets” in Scotland…

3 Likes

on the campus where i went to college one art student put up a concrete slab supported by six concrete pillars. she mixed the concrete so that it would be impermanent to the extent of aging about a century for each year it was up. it was a fascinating piece, especially since i went to school there off and on for the 10 years it was up. the school removed it once it had collapsed in the middle.

9 Likes

i’ll hate myself for stupidly missing it (“Ach wee, didnae ye read th’ damn article!?”) but what does the elaborate chainmail get you over just a solid roof with open sides? (or ‘umbrella’ structure, if you will) That is, what source of dampness is the chainmail keeping out? Birds carrying water balloons?

1 Like

Drunks urinating on the steps?

2 Likes

Rain goes sideways there. It’s up a hill close to the sea, in an exposed site.

12 Likes

And this sideways rain respects the holes in chainmail as a warning? (“You’re clearly not a rain engineer, are you?” well, no… (ok, shutt’n up now))

Yes, it has been engineered to do so, I understand. The holes in the chainmail are small enough to exclude all (nearly all?) the rain (certainly hugely much more than an open/umbrella covering would do!) and whatever does get through does not reach the house itself. While wind - drying air - does get in, and out.

6 Likes

I read the title to mean that the chain mail box was slowly dissolving.

“Giant chainmail box” used to dry out house which is slowly dissolving in Scottish rain

10 Likes

It’s important to remember that most rain in Scotland arrives sideways.

6 Likes

It’s almost always a mistake to use sealants on concrete or masonry. Eventually they fail in splotchy ways due to UV damage or whatever letting moisture into the substrate but also trapping it from leaving easily. Thus accelerating the water damage that the sealant was put on to prevent. I bet the chainmail thing stays up for way longer than the 15 years they are saying.

3 Likes

Concrete dissolving in constant rain? I can really understand why stone is such a popular building material in the UK…

1 Like

Well, you gotta go with handmade if you’re going to have consistent protection from arrows.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Does anyone know if the arduously slow drying is by design(to avoid some sort of internal cracking or settling or some chemical unpleasantry in the boundary between soggy and dehydrated concrete); or if it’s just cost or resource prohibitive to go with a slightly more airtight enclosure and try to be more aggressive about the temperature and humidity?

2 Likes

According to @Purplecat 's linked video it is to avoid “environmental shock” it needs to dry gradually.

3 Likes

Years of D&D suggest that protecting the chainmail shed would likely involve upgrading to a larger platemail shed.

10 Likes

Bodkin-point arrows?

Maybe Scotland can get some dragon scales from Wales and make lighter armor that still breathes?

8 Likes

Plus fireproof!

5 Likes