Dude builds a 3,000 lb sarcophagus to send “Flaming Hot Cheetos” 10,000 years into the future

Originally published at: Dude builds a 3,000 lb sarcophagus to send "Flaming Hot Cheetos" 10,000 years into the future | Boing Boing

3 Likes

He has a bright future ahead of him.

4 Likes

Foolish.

1. This sarcophagus will be penetrated by water within a few years

2. Tree roots will then destroy the remnants of the box.

3. The Cheetos themselves will break down pretty quickly and become inedible. Long term food storage is a huge problem for NASA, and this dude took no steps at all.

If you want something to last a long time, don’t bury it in damp soil. Better yet don’t bury it at all.

Worth it for the Corgi though.

18 Likes

He also could have saved most of that labor and expense by buying similar products that already exist like a cement funeral sarcophagus and employing a funeral home to dig the hole and lower the box in.

But this wasn’t about Cheetos lasting 10,000 years, this was about Tik Tok views and likes (or whatever they’re called).

Edit for typo

14 Likes

It would’ve been more interesting if he’d taken an in-depth approach to the problem, like you might see in a Mark Rober or Stuff Made Here video, but I still appreciate the idea and effort. No need to be a stick in the mud about it, yeesh!

3 Likes

Came to say the same. Concrete is not water tight over long periods and he didn’t line it or seal it in any way. Around here, it would be full of water and reduced to chalk and spall by the end of the first year, :joy:

The acrylic block in the middle will fair a lot better if it’s a solid block. Kept out of UV, that will probably last a few hundred years at least.

You also have to bury stuff a lot deeper than that if you want it to last. I presume the ground doesn’t freeze where he lives, but if it does, it needs to be 8 feet down. Same for tree roots, excavations for utility service, etc. Anything buried a foot deep is going to be found and/or damaged very very fast.

I get that it’s a dumb stunt for clicks or whatever, but it’s a missed opportunity to get the basics right and make the world a smarter place instead of a stupider one.

22 Likes

I love you folks.

Boing boing consensus: “Interesting idea, but a dimwitted execution.”

20 Likes

Should of went with a McDonald’s hamburger.

(This Is Why McDonald's Hamburgers Last Forever And Never Rot | HuffPost Life)

5 Likes

Exactly, a plex box plus physical storage mechanisms does not equal a Dune style Nullentropy box:

8 Likes

Damp is the snack killer.

21 Likes

10,155 CE.
Archeologist: “Who’s responsible for this shit?”
Cultural Anthropologist: “We’ll never know. Some random idiot.”

14 Likes

I was focused on “dude’s” mistake, actually.

2 Likes

I think this often when some new discovery is unearthed and we try to determine why something appears the way it does. There’s a high probability we unearthed the work of a complete moron.

ETA: Or, you know… an entire culture of morons.

16 Likes

Future Archaeologist, “We believe is might have held some sort of ritual significance.”

14 Likes

The cult of morons. (@cannibalpeas)

ETA @euansmith beat me to it, of course.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Or we get lucky, and the guy selling substandard copper ingots is named and shamed on the artifact.

5 Likes

It’s such a weird combo of doing tons of work but also half-assing elements of it. Building a huge, enormously heavy sarcophagus, but then having the lettering on top being gold leaf (when they could have been cast as raised/carved letters when making the lid), which guarantees they won’t last at all, especially buried in the earth. Burying the enormous thing in the ground, when it would have worked better sitting on the surface.

What I don’t get is if that’s all it was about, he could have half-assed it even more and saved himself a lot of work.

6 Likes

Dude did something fun but it is not MilSpc so fuck off.

4 Likes

I was downright dismayed that this was the ONLY usage that I could find of this on the topic.

3 Likes