Gibson Was Right

Sounds cool, right? But the sickest and poorest among us can’t afford the sanitary conditions to make the drugs safe, or can’t brew their own and need to rely on someone else’s amateur chemistry skills and hope that person doesn’t fuck it up.

Maybe we should try for a world where we’re not homebrewing the things that keep us alive.

7 Likes

Can’t afford a car so want to car share? Hope you don’t need to go anywhere the app can’t connect.

5 Likes

Thread:

5 Likes

I had a friend who lived on the grounds of a large property. I tried to call an Uber to go there, and the Uber took me two miles past the entrance and left me in the middle of a forest preserve because it figured that was the closest spot to the address.

3 Likes

Putting this here, because it’s an example of how even the present isn’t evenly distributed.

3 Likes

If anyone wonders why so many of these are focusing on ableism, it’s because they are often left out and dismissed. When they express their needs, it’s ignored. Until the rest of us need a thing and suddenly, boom! It’s available for us, but not them.

6 Likes
5 Likes

This Uber/Lyft/Instacart world works differently depending on which side of the service you’re on.

In other words, don’t be a complete fucking asshole.

5 Likes

Just wondering, have you seen the doc Crip Camp on Netflix? I thought it was awesome.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

:thread:

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

“The secret was out: the world could be accessible. Inequality was actually a choice.”

10 Likes
1 Like

As we stand on the precipice of science fiction into science fact, people say: Hell yeah, I want to augment my eyesight!

Dude. Imagine, like, if you had – bear with me – a smartphone, right? But, like, in your HEAD?!

Disregard the fact we already have nature’s most powerful known computer sitting inside our noggins, with processing power that not even a million Arm cores running in parallel can replicate, a study from Kaspersky suggests folk are fairly keen on the cyberpunk dream of human augmentation.

Opinium Research surveyed 14,500 adults across 16 countries in Europe and North Africa on behalf of the security firm and found that while 92 per cent would change a physical aspect of themselves, 63 per cent said they would consider improving their bodies with technology.

I have already augmented my eyesight with cataract surgery giving me new corneas with improved focus. I know lots of people with replacement joints and a few with cybernetic prostheses.

2 Likes
3 Likes