Gimmicky technological conceptualism returns with a vengeance

Nobody needs to say that; if something says ‘wank’, preferably in bold caps, marketers are all over it.

Sounds like they need to deploy RPZs - Rocket Propelled Zucchinis.

5 Likes

Weapons of Mass Nutrition.

5 Likes

Rocket Salad:

2 Likes

Load up!

4 Likes

Plastic Roadways with built-in pipes of internet backbone-capable fiber-optics: wherever the road is laid, there goeth the internet.

And it will finally be a series of tubes (that you can back a truck up to/on)!

3 Likes

Build it all out of some sort of starch-based bio-plastic and it will be

#A SERIES OF TUBERS.

6 Likes

This one made me physically angry. Like the spinning solar thing was at least a gimmick to be thrown at people with more money than sense. But this sucks money away from a very real need.

2 Likes

Is that like a ricochet biscuit?

1 Like

[quote=“Shuck, post:4, topic:97391, full:true”]
Projects like that, unlike Hyperloop, are particularly dangerous, as they not only take money away from needed infrastructure projects…[/quote]
Opponents of high speed rail in California have seized on Hyperloop as a reason to abandon the project, and Elon Musk himself explicitly presented Hyperloop as a superior alternative for the San Francisco-Los Angeles route.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Even a child would ponder “Wait, how are you are going to remove and replace a section of road if it has pipes and internet running through it?” Never mind the sort of plastic you recycle isn’t tough enough to make into a road. Nor the fact that the main cost in road construction is all the stuff UNDER the road to get it graded and draining correctly etc. And asphalt is not only cheap and uses what is basically an oil waste product, but it too can be recycled into new roads.

Replying to your self is a sign of BBS addiction. If you think you or a loved one may be addicted to BBS, call the BBS addiction hot line - 1.800.BOING.OFF

3 Likes

Although I suspect they also wouldn’t allow any resources to be allocated to Hyperloop, either, so it is just an excuse.

1 Like

I thought this headline was talking about the exaggerated techno-hype of Wired, which seems to have taken the baton passed by Popular Science. (As in, where’s the flying car you promised?) Capitalists are guilty of this, but huckster journalists have been enabling and weaponizing them since – I don’t know, the beginning of human language?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.