Gofundme jumpstarts a golden era of snake oil as desperate people raise millions for quack homeopathy cancer "remedies"

Or Demerol. Morphine would guarantee it would be my final show. I’m allergic to opiates.

2 Likes

Evidence based medicine has an awful tendency to pathologize death, to the point where wasting money and time on quack remedies sounds like a better deal than quietly dying at home surrounded by friends and family. Ive heard that cancer surgeons are really on the ball with their own DNR paperwork, because theyve seen firsthand what the system does to those who aren’t sure about their own ending.

I am certain that if we could die better, we would also live better.

9 Likes

There’s actually a thread somewhere on the BBS where you’re supposed to report ads like that. My understanding is that BB isn’t able to whitelist ads, but they’re able to blacklist them and will if you report them.

4 Likes

If a website visitor views an ad but is not influenced by it, can it really be considered to have been served?

3 Likes

True story: I’ve worked as an ER nurse for close to a decade and never laid eyes on Demerol. It’s been more or less banned for a long time.

Oddly enough I guess a doctor put an order for it for a patient and a nurse i work with went down to pick it up from the pharmacy where there was some. Then she got in trouble for not knowing she wasn’t supposed to give it. Just an example of why I would love to get out of the business.

Anyway, Demerol is more or less an opiate with a high level of side effects (“a dirty drug”).

2 Likes

That’s true to a point. But non scientific based medicine has close to nothing to offer to anyone ever. Western medicine has tons to offer many people but definitely the dismount is pretty bad.

Partially based on our legal requirement to do everything for every human despite all evidence pointing to extreme futility.

2 Likes

On-line charity crowd-sourcing is central to the business model of stem-cell scammers and Tijuana cancer clinics. It lets them suck money from entire communities rather than be limited to the savings of one victim at a time. The parasites can out-source their grifting by inducing their victims to grift on their behalf.

Standard practice for cancer charlatans now is to have someone on staff to help prospective victims set up their GoFundMe appeals.

I am not a fan.

7 Likes

This is my favourite GoFundMe grift at the moment: https://www.gofundme.com/big-pharma039s-latest-victim

The beneficiary worked for the med-scam empire of the now-imprisoned David Noakes, distributing different forms of Noakes’ ‘GcMAF’ snake-oil. He was left stranded in France when the French and UK authorities tired of the GcMAF frauds and shut down the whole operation.

Noakes made millions from the scam, but could not spare any to help his accomplices, so perhaps we would like to look after this dude instead,

2 Likes

I’m sure that the 1% are the first to dip their hands in to their very deep pockets to help out these desperate people.

2 Likes

I am tempted to donate a penny just so that I can leave a message saying “go fuck yourself”

3 Likes

A friend of our family had one run by his sister to help pay for chemo and surgery for his brain cancer, but it was pivoted to provide money for his three young kids after he died suddenly, since his widow had to sell their home, their business, and nearly everything they owned to cover part of his medical treatment and debt.

4 Likes

Anybody else amused that the only way to stop GoFundMe from being used to fund quackery is government action, and the only way to stop people from having to use GoFundMe for treatment is government action, but somehow GoFundMe is the focus?

Like seriously, “they reached out to GoFundMe…”. What is the platform going to do, use their ‘medical expertise’ to prevent people from raising money for certain treatments?

GoFundMe cannot guarantee that these people who have raised money for quack therapies would have been equally able to raise money for reasonable treatments, so they have an ethical obligation to not interfere

3 Likes

I feel so sorry for people who don’t have the advantage of a single payer health care system. Corporate America is a psychopathic parasite.

6 Likes

I’ve had Demerol before (not in a long time, though) because Morphine, for some reason, is almost completely ineffective in relieving pain for me (although it does a bang up job of slowing my breathing). Demerol worked, but it also basically put me into a zombie-like state, so I hated it. If I ever have that level of pain again, it’ll be interesting to see what they give me.

2 Likes

I’d try some good old fashioned Fentanyl. Seems to have lower side effects and it burns off quicker so if you have a bad reaction you’re not stuck as long.

I am not a doctor though so forget I said anything.

Funny to be talking about Demerol because I hadn’t heard the word spoken since about 2011 when I had a psych patient demand it of me, which was funny because even then it was long gone. And then the incident the other night where I realized it was still available in the hospital even though it’s rarely if ever used. Anyway. It’s been a lot of Demerol talk for one week.

2 Likes

This is one of the few sites I would feel a motivation similar to @Horkus00-- except every time I do patriotically turn off the adblocker and NoScript (!), I am truly amazed by the ads that confront me, both annoyingly on the side (persistent, as you scroll, with distracting, repeating video to boot) and intertwined in the article feeds (so you mistake ad for content, and vice versa). Less would be much, much more for them.

1 Like

This whole discussion about allowing “alternative” medicine to exist, because some of it might help some of the people who seek it out, compared to actual medicine, is really hard to stomach. Mostly because alternative medicine doesn’t exist. Something is either medicine (that is, its ultimate goal is to improve and prolong life, and there is evidence that it does that), or it is not. I’m sure that there is a minority of patients who have received dire prognoses, who cannot bear to think that there is little to nothing that can be done, who do get some comfort from “alternative” practices. And I believe a minority of practitioners of this nonsense are sincere in their beliefs in their “services”. However, I also strongly believe that the charlatans knowingly exploiting these patients, and the damage these assholes do to their “patients” and their loved ones, far outweighs any benefits of the former group. Yes, reducing access to non-medicine masquerading as medicine (through education, or downright regulation) will negatively affect a non-zero number of people. But humanity as a whole will benefit.

1 Like

The year of my previous surgery was 1996, so yeah, practices change. I had an outpatient nasal polyp surgery in 2015, and it’s highly probable they used something else. Please don’t use my layman’s experience as an opportunity to shame.
When I have to go under, I don’t demand Demerol, I simply mention the opiate allergy which my grandmother also had. Better safe than sorry.

No shame! Sorry if it came across that way. It’s just a funny med to me at this point. I was flabbergasted that we still had some in the hospital.

You might find this interesting:
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/jeffrey-fudin/2018/03/opioid-allergy-pseudo-allergy-or-adverse-effect

Homeopathic Coffee™ was a Kickstarter project that raised a homeopathic amount of money.
Guess what they were able to do with that?

Nothing.

After all, if one us willing to use a tracest of trace amounts of arnica for a sore muscle then the tracest of tracest amounts of coffee should do the trick too, right?