Golden Gate Bridge officials demand that photographer remove photo from his website

Looks like the photo is of the north tower on the Marin side of the bridge. The road leading to that area is closed off with a barbed-wire topped gate and is marked with copious “No Trespassing” signs. On street view you can see a CCTV camera, too. I seem to recall that you could go up to the base of the tower back before 9-11 but of course that all changed. They had armed National Guard troops stationed there for a few years after that.

2 Likes

If Zelda BoTW has taught me anything it’s that exploring during a blood moon never works out well… Guess that applies to real life.

2 Likes

So one thing I thought of - if the area he took the pic is dangerous and/or part of a historical area prone to damage, there is a real issue with photographers flocking to certain locations to get that one perfect instagram shot. I suppose the worry that more people could copy him for that shot and cause other harm is a good reason to take it down. But I am not sure that I want that to be able to be forced.

6 Likes

Agreed. Is he supposed to give his photos away for the…wait for it…exposure?

Thank you.

11 Likes

On a closer look I think @AndrewTF is right; the picture was taken from the north end of the bridge near the Lime Point lighthouse. I think it’s still officially US Coast Guard property.

4 Likes

It’s still missing the three howling werewolf mice.

2 Likes

I got a similarly dramatic action shot near the bridge last summer though.

I call it Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal No. 4 (2019)

28 Likes

I haven’t genuinely laughed out loud at something on the Internet in a long time. Thank you for that.

2 Likes

I just downloaded my copy of the photo, anyone else?

3 Likes

To be clear are you downloading this copyrighted, apparently-illegally-captured photo to stick it to the photographer or are you downloading it to stick it to the bridge officials?

3 Likes

Either way, it’s a cool photo and this kerfluffle is the best thing the photographer has probably had happen to him in awhile. Damn the torpedos DOWNLOAD THE INTERNET CHAOS REIGNS

1 Like

About 90% bridge officials, 10% photographer.

2 Likes

You’re gonna need to Wash that.

3 Likes

At those prices you’d think he’d 'shop the chainlink fence in the fore ground out of it.

1 Like

Earlier today I posted it to Facebook.

1 Like

Just because it’s viewable from a public road (it basically is a public road) doesn’t mean that you should just be allowed to photograph it! What are you, some sort of communist? :wink:

Just look at all these examples where copyright is used to prohibit your right to take pictures of things you should definitely be allowed to take pictures of:

So, I’m not too sure about the source here, but the idea of using copyright to prevent photo’s being taken from objects that are in the public space is very much a real thing. It’s a insane concept to me, if you don’t want people to take a photo of something, don’t push it into their face. The Eiffel tower is kinda hard to avoid if your in Paris, maybe don’t make something so unavoidable if you don’t want people to take pictures of it.

Spock, Leonard Nimoy - Go To Hell, If I Were Human, Vulcan, Star Trek VI, The Undiscovered Country

3 Likes

That moon addition looks a bit lame. It really needs a zeppelin as well to balance it out.

3 Likes

Maybe some wolves?

2 Likes

Three moons and one wolf?

5 Likes