Good idea: 3D printed glove remover

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/21/good-idea-3d-printed-glove-re.html

3 Likes

What’s to stop the glove remover from itself getting contaminated? You don’t want to be touching something that’s been sitting out in the open in a hospital environment with your bare skin.

9 Likes

That’s why they’re also providing plans for a plastic glove remover manipulator. You use the manipulator to hold the remover. It’s a perfect system.

8 Likes

I pull them off with my feet.

5 Likes

Or you could learn how to remove your gloves without touching your skin with the outer surface. Something I picked up in high school chemistry class, it’s not that hard.

14 Likes

Perhaps some kind of re-purposed vacuum cleaner could remove the glove and dispose of it.

If you don’t know how to take your gloves off safely, chances are you don’t know how to use the rest of the PPE that you were never taught to wear, possibly don’t know how to use, and probably don’t need, and in which you are most likely cross contaminating everything around you.

Donning and doffing is a skill. Learn it, or your PPE isn’t keeping people safe.

It is a hard enough skill that outside our covid19 ICU rooms, we have handy posterss to remind staff of the proper order, and when possibly you should have a PPE buddy to troubleshoot and assist you in live time.

7 Likes

This seems like a great way to introduce extra cross contamination while encouraging poor use of PPE.

3 Likes

Does it qualify as a glove removal machine?:

Also:

14 Likes

The thing should be sitting in a tube of isopropyl. A step pedal thingy makes it rise up out of the alcohol. You use it while stepping on the lever, and then when done, let off the pedal and it sinks back into its vat of isopropyl, killing anything on it that was hitching a ride. The price you pay is you get a little isopropyl on your wrists that dries off as you walk away. Maybe you rub your hands in it and spread it around a bit.

4 Likes

Yeah, I mean this is cool and all, and if it’s more efficient then why not. But one can absolutely take off nitrile gloves without toughing the outside directly. Just pull the outside of one hand with the other gloved hand, then pull from under the wrist of the other hand with the ungloved hand. Don’t know about latex because I don’t use latex gloves for anything.

Robot dogs.

Here boy!

THOUGHT ACTIVATED SELF-REMOVING GLOVES

srsly

2 Likes

What you describe is exactly what @Beanolini’s diagram shows, unless I’m misunderstanding one or the other of you.

The diagram is horribly-designed though; English-speakers are used to scanning lines left-to-right, not in clockwise circles! It took me a few reads to realize that step 4 is in the bottom right, not the bottom left.

3 Likes

How about this one from the CDC’s Ebola PPE advice, then:

(Step 7 is ‘clean your hands’).

4 Likes

EDIT: And there’s a perfectly suitable alternate method :point_up: plain as day. (read comments first… read comments posts… read comments…)

I’ve frequently had to use tight fitting latex gloves in my hobbies; it’s just a matter of using one still-gloved hand against the other in a way that the gloves sort of end up partially inside-out and partially removed. Then it’s just a matter of fully removing the gloves with your hands by only having to touch the now exposed inner sides. Whole thing takes about 5 seconds.

1 Like

Sorry, “horribly-designed” was harsh, the layout just confused me for a bit.

I’ve had my coffee now. All is forgiven.

2 Likes

You’re right, and that is confusing.

2 Likes

To be honest, this is one of the things that I really wish the government was doing better. Using PPE properly is vital to it actually working, and there has been so very little in the way of educating the general public as to how to use a mask, how to make the masks, how to use gloves, and so forth to help prevent the spread (and what you can do to protect yourself).

I think if they started talking about how to really, seriously protect yourself from this and protect others, we’d have more compliance. I think a lot of people hate masks and the reversal of policy has convinced people that they are not helpful and security theatre.

My bare hands never touch the glove!

acfe3d459719d2e7b03abbfdcfef17fc

3 Likes